RE: [beemonitoring] "common names"

  • Weber, Don
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 5, 2012

      Doug,

      I agree with you that scientific names are perfectly adequate and should be used by everyone (which may not occur in spite of our agreement on it here!).  However, the issue that has come up here, suggests that there might be some benefit in the designation of a common name simply as a deterrent against people calling it by a misleading name like “carpenter bee.”  This designation would not preclude the use of the scientific name, of course.  I do not have a dog in this race and was just trying to present an option for this purpose.

      Don

      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees