RE: [beemonitoring] A presentation on Lithurgus crysurus

  • Weber, Don
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 5, 2012

      Peter et al.,

      The best means for accomplishing this, I think, is to be proactive and designate a common name through the Entomological Society of America.  Their committee responsible for this is shown here: http://www.entsoc.org/about_esa/governance/other/committees/standing_index with the following text:

      Committee on the Common Names of Insects
      The Committee on Common Names of Insects shall consist of nine At-Large members. The purpose of the Committee shall be to review proposals for common names and recommend names to be used in publications of the Society for approval by the Governing Board.
      Roster

      The link to the roster is for ESA members only; someone who is a member could submit (on behalf of all supporters) a suitable common name with supporting info as detailed (such as history of use, conflicts with other names, etc.) by the committee.

      Hope this helps,

      Don

      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees