Re: [beemonitoring] A presentation on Lithurgus crysurus

  • Brian Dykstra
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 5, 2012
      More on Lithurgus:
       "O'Toole and Raw (2004) described Lithurgus as megachilid "carpenter" bees.  They do not cut leaf pieces like ohters of the family, rather they make holes in tree branches."(Hannan and Maeta 2007).  The article goes on to say that Lithurgus collaris seals completed nests with wood dust. The quote above refers to the book 'Bees of the World' by O'Toole and Raw (2004).

      Nesting Biology and the Nest Architecture of Lithurgus (Lithurgus) collaris Smith (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) on Iriomote Island, Southwestern Subtropical Archipelago, Japan

      Md. Abdul Hannan and Yasuo Maeta
      Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society
      Vol. 80, No. 3 (Jul., 2007), pp. 213-222
      Published by: Kansas (Central States) Entomological Society
      Article Stable URL:http://www.jstor.org/stable/25086383

      On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:

      Anita:  I think using the term "carpenter bee" as a common name for a Lithurgus is unfortunate as that common name has, for many years, been rather firmly been attached to Xylocopa.  Made up common names often add to identity confusion rather than clarifying things and think this does that just that.

      best

      Jack

      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees