RE: [beemonitoring] Sources for Plant Nectar

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012

      Jack is right, I would not want to hand collect enough nectar for feeding for most plants.  If you resort to centrifugation, keep the RPMs down, as I found with alfalfa buds that you can also extract phloem sap!  If I were to manually collect nectar from one readily available plant, it would be a summer squash, esp zucchini.  Each flower has a veritable lake of nectar in it (up to 120 ul) that is readily removed with a syringe (ideally with a blunt-tipped one).  Mature buds can be bagged the night before so you aren’t competing with bees early the next morning.  If you live in a place where bat-pollinated flowers can be grown or grow, then there are some other options like this (e.g. agave and some bat-pollinated vines).  But for sheer convenience, squash.

      yours

      Jim

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
        I have a database with a list of species of flowers from which mosquitoes have been recorded, if that's of use.

        David

        At 09:08 AM 9/4/2012, you wrote:

        All:

        I have been contacted by a mosquito researcher (see email correspondence below) regarding the availability of plant nectars for feeding mosquitos.  They have used artificial solutions in the past, but are interested in the possibility of obtaining real nectar.  I am not sure such things are available so if anyone knows they can send a message to the requesters (copied), but I think the topic is of general enough interest to send to the whole list (beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com) so please do.  I would also suppose their might be enough differences in plant nectars that the choice of nectar could be significant...sounds like a meaty discussion to me.

        Thanks
        sam

        Sam Droege  sdroege@...