nectar for mosquitos

  • ahworkerb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
      Dr. Seeber:

      Well, beekeepers would be able to give you some information. I suggest contacting the local beekeepers association near you and also the WV state beekeepers association on the Internet.

      If you are thinking about growing some plants for fairly profuse nectar, then the local bee association would know. However plants are seasonal and nectar production can be influenced by the weather.

      During a strong nectar flow (usually in spring) when the bees' honeycombs are filled with incoming nectar, shaking a frame can produce a "rain" of nectar because it is quite dilute—not turned into honey yet. However the sugars are already being converted in bee-collected nectar.

      Nectar composition depends on the plant—color, aroma and flavor compounds differ as well as the contents of the various sugars. Nectar production also depends on the time of day.

      I don't know what the research protocol is but it seems to me that "artificial nectar" would have a consistent, known composition. Nectar from flowers would be totally inconsistent. But that may not be a problem.

      I would be happy to answer any other questions.

      Ann Harman
      EAS Certified Master Beekeeper

      Everyone, in some small sacred sanctuary of the self, is nuts. -Leo Rosten, author (1908-1997)