Re: [beemonitoring] A presentation on Lithurgus crysurus

  • Brian Dykstra
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 3, 2012
      Dear all, concerning Anita Collins thread/post on Lithurgus chrysurus:

      Thanks for the update Anita!  The Leigh Gap Nature Center sounds awesome.
      I was slightly confused at first by the use of the name "carpenter bee".  Lithurgus chrysurus bores in wood, but it is a Megachilid.  From the photos it appears the species does not use leaves in nesting material.  Does the bee use mud/soil?  Check out this great set of poems interchanged between one of these bees and a naturalist: http://standingoutinmyfield.wordpress.com/tag/lithurgus-chrysurus/
      Again, thanks for the informative update!

      Sincerely,
      Brian Dykstra
      Administrator of Ethnobeeology - a page dedicated to the study of human-bee relationships around the world
    • Brian Dykstra
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees