Re: Was: A presentation on Lithurgus crysurus, now on eastern carpenter bees!

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 3, 2012
      Anita Collins wrote:
      >Recently we found a nest site for this exotic carpenter bee. At Sam's urging I am posting a PowerPoint at www.slideshare.net/anitacollins1806. Take a look at the aggregate nest site, an opened nest, and the background on this bee in PA.

      I found this very interesting and thank you for doing this project and posting the info. I can see the concern for the possibilities of an exotic bee becoming a serious pest.

      I was dismayed, however, to see your link to an extermination system for the native eastern carpenter bees. In this day and age of pollinator decline, how long will it take before our scientists recognize and advocate the preservation of these valuable pollinators - especially valuable for open-faced blooms of spring fruit.

      This is the last wild pollinator that is common in our area, and I suspect in many areas. In our case, the bulk of them are already finished and gone dormant by the time cotton bloom starts and spraying becomes devastating for bumble bees, melissodes bees and honey bees.

      I will say this - eastern carpenter bees are more than welcome at my home! I will gladly live with the tiny amount of cosmetic damage they do, in order to let them render their services.

      Dave Green
      South Carolina
    • Brian Dykstra
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 24, 2012
        Visit this Utah State University extension website to participate in coming up with common names for native bees