Re: FW: Green honey

  • Julie Tennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
      I can't say why it is green, but I'd be proud of it (after finding out it isn't from some toxic plant)!

    • Don Shump
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
        We've had a few isolated cases of green honey in Philadelphia. One was tested and came back as food coloring. It seems similar to what happened in Redhook, NY.

        http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/nyregion/30bigcity.html

        He really should have it tested to see if it is natural. Would be pretty exciting to hear there was natural green honey out there.  And if not, at least you'll know.

        - Don

        Don Shump
        Philadelphia Bee Co.
      • David Inouye
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
          A beekeeper friend in eastern Kansas says:

          no idea - we have a honey here that has a green cast to its surface -
          looks a bit like motor oil but not like this photo - really looks
          like a dye of some sort - in nature many blue-greens are bilins but
          these don't occur in plants as far as I know.
        • Brian Dykstra
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2012
            This link is about Green Honey in France, rather than South Africa.

            http://www.inquisitr.com/352990/mm-plant-turns-bee-honey-blue-and-green/

            Have you learned more about the green honey there?  The green honey in France was traced back to the M&M candy plant which left uncovered containers outside - the bees collected the colored ingredients.