Re: Another SLU Biology Success Story

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2012
      DEAR Elma:

      I am passing your message on to Dr. Michael Barber SJ (Dean of Arts and Sciences), Chairman and Robert Wood (Biology) and Peter Raven.  They may have some good ideas about American scientists training your Belizeans while completing research in Belize.  I will also pass this message on to other members of my department doing long-term fieldwork.  I belong to a consortium of North American scientists studying pollinators (North American Pollinator Protections Campaign).  We have members in Mexico but we ned members in Belize.  If you join online perhaps this will encourage more Canadian and American scientists to work in Belize on their sabbaticals. I am also sending this to some Australian colleagues with possible interests in the Neotropical flora.

      Peter

      On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Elma Kay <elma.kay@...> wrote:
      Thanks for this Dr. Bernhardt. Our biggest need at the moment is for partners who can help us to investigate the priority research lines found in this national research agenda   http://eprints.eriub.org/1334/  that we developed in collaboration with stakeholders and who can also assist in training young Belizean scientists. this year we will be articulating a fellowship program but our ideas center around attracting researchers from abroad who would like to do a sabbatical here investigating one of the research lines in the agenda and another would be to create a partnership in which we can work with foreign Universities to seek funding to allow professors to come and do research here in Belize. Please check out the agenda and also our website at http://www.eriub.org

      Regards,

      Elma

      On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...> wrote:
      Dear Elma:

      Please read the emails below.  Let me know if you are interested?

      Peter

      From: Elma Kay <elma.kay@...>
      Date: Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM
      Subject: Re: Photo of bat and passion flower
      To: Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...>

      Dear Dr. Bernhardt,

      I am afraid that all I have is video. If the article is online maybe we can load up the video on something like You Tube and share a link. I hope you are doing well when you receive this. Life for me has been very complicated lately but work wise, our now 3 year old Institute is doing great.

      Regards,

      Elma

      On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...> wrote:
      Dear Elma:

      Dr. Peter Kevan is putting together a very general article on pollination and pollinators for an international audience.  I've sent him some of my old photos but he continues to look for a photo of a bat and a flower.  Do you have anything from your old study on Passiflora he could use?

      Sincerely, Peter

      --
      Elma Kay, Ph.D.
      Administrative Director & Science Director (Terrestrial)

      Office Tel: 501-822-2701
      Fax: 501-822-2701
      Mobile: 501-610-3982
      E-mail: elma.kay@... or ekay@...