Re: [beemonitoring] New Video: The "Fractionator" Speeds bulk washing of specimens and separation of large and small insects

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2012
      Peter:

      Hmmmm, likely you could come up with some sort of clever way of both washing individual bees and retreiving the detritus...ectoparasites would be a definite bonus.  I think collecting them in individual vials (big ones) filled with soapy water and then putting those same vials on an orbital shaker for half hour or so would do the trick.  The tricky part would then be separating the pollen from the water.

      How about something this.

      1.  Remove the bee from the shaken vial.
      2.  Use a squeeze bottle with clean water to rinse the bee with the rinse water going back into the vial
      3.  Cover the mouth of a vial with (filter paper, cloth?, kimwipes?  screening?  not sure )
      4.  Invert the vial.
      5.  Remove the screen / filter and ?????? How would one transfer the pollen and extoparasites to a slide or ????

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      The Bee's Last Journey

      The Bee's Last Journey to the Rose
      I came first through the warm grass
      Humming with Spring,
      And now swim through the evening's
      Soft sunlight gone cold.
      I'm old in this green ocean;
      Going a final time to the rose.
      North wind, until I reach it
      Keep your icy breath away
      That changes pollen into dust.
      Let me be drunk on this scent a final time,
      Then blow if you must.

      Brian Patten

      From:Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...>
      To:Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
      Cc:Retha Meier <rmeier3@...>, Justin Zweck <jrzweck@...>, "Cane, Jim" <jim.cane@...>, Bee United <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, pollinator@...
      Date:07/31/2012 10:16 AM
      Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] New Video: The "Fractionator" Speeds bulk washing of specimens and separation of large and small insects
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Dear Sam:

      No one likes a dirty, dead bee.  Yes, this is a nice, clear suite of techniques but I'd really, really, really like to see you put together a protocol and technology for cleaning then deriving information from individual bees.  If Retha, Justin and I used this technique on the bees we collect on Cypripedium parviflorum or on native legumes we would have clean bees to pin but we would be unable to associate each bee with the following information.

      1)  Which bees carried the pollen of the host orchid + pollen of other co-blooming species (in our last wash series we found some bees carried spores of sympatric ferns!).
      2) Which bees (upon escaping from the orchid) carried the detachable stellate hairs lining the pouched labellum.
      3)  Which bees carried bee lice.

      How about a technique in which the bee goes into a capped vial with some ethyl acetate?  You centrifuge it quickly.  Remove the bee for drying and pinning.  Remove the debris at the bottom of the vial for staining.  What sort of "quickie" centrifuge can you find in these labs?

      Peter

      On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      Here is our latest video.  As you can see from the video byline, we borrowed this idea from the fabulous free thinkers at the USDA Micro-Hymenoptera Lab at the Smithsonian.  We now use this technique for all our large batches of bees.  In addition to speeding up the quantity and quality of our specimen preparation it also permits separation of large from small fractions of insects.  The USDA folks are always interested in those small, mostly neglected fractions, even if you are not.

      Here is the link to the video:

      http://youtu.be/SUVVLHxd6Y0

      Its Creative Commons Licence so you can use it in anyway you like!

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege
      sdroege@...
      301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624

      I thought the earth remembered me,
      she took me back so tenderly,
      arranging her dark skirts, her pockets
      full of lichens and seeds.
      I slept as never before, a stone on the river bed,
      nothing between me and the white fire of the stars
      but my thoughts, and they flowed light as moths
      among the branches of the perfect trees.
      All night I heard the small kingdoms
      breathing around me, the insects,
      and the birds who do their work in the darkness.
      All night I rose and fell, as if in water,
      grappling with a luminous doom. By morning
      I had vanished at least a dozen times
      into something better.

        -From Sleeping In The Forest by Mary Oliver