Re: [beemonitoring] Megachile sculpturalis (Giant Resin bee)

  • Jason Gibbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20 9:11 AM
      Peter,

      The attached papers might be of interest.

      Jason

      On 20 July 2012 11:47, Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...> wrote:

      Der Colleagues:

      Students in the Bernhardt/Meier lab (St. Louis, MO) have been capturing specimens of the giant resin bee (Megachile sculpturalis) for the last week.  You may have seen this huge insect and not recognized it.  If not, there are videos on Youtube and this link should be helpful.

      Does anyone have dependable information on the introduction of this species to North America?  One site said it came from Japan but was not recorded in America until 1994 (east coast, South Carolina?.  The Youtube sites show someone culturing this bee in Ontario using bee houses with much larger holes (as for Osmia).  Does anyone really know when, how and why this large bee was imported and released?  Considering the foraging habits of megachilds was it expected to pollinate legume crops or cranberries-blueberries?

      Peter

      --
      Jason Gibbs
      Post-Doctoral Associate

    • J. C. Lucier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20 9:59 AM
        This species, from eastern Asia, was first detected in North America in North Carolina in 1994 (Magnum and Brooks 1997). Megachile sculpturalis was first observed in Canada (Ontario) in 2002 (Magnum and Sumner 2003; Paiero and Buck 2004), and was recently collected in Quebec (Gibbs and Sheffield 2009). This species has great potential to spread throughout the continent (Hinojosa-Díaz et al. 2005; Maier 2009).
      • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20 3:43 PM

          We have found it on milkweed, but have not seen it as early as blueberry blooms on anything here at Mtn. Lake Biol. Station.

          barb

          Barbara J Abraham, PhD

          Associate Professor

          SEEDS Chapter Advisor

          Department of Biological Sciences

          Hampton University

          Hampton, Va 23668

          barbara.abraham@...

          757-727-5283

          Students in the Bernhardt/Meier lab (St. Louis, MO) have been capturing specimens of the giant resin bee (Megachile sculpturalis) for the last week.  You may have seen this huge insect and not recognized it.  If not, there are videos on Youtube and this link should be helpful.

          Does anyone have dependable information on the introduction of this species to North America?  One site said it came from Japan but was not recorded in America until 1994 (east coast, South Carolina?.  The Youtube sites show someone culturing this bee in Ontario using bee houses with much larger holes (as for Osmia).  Does anyone really know when, how and why this large bee was imported and released?  Considering the foraging habits of megachilds was it expected to pollinate legume crops or cranberries-blueberries?

          Peter

        • Sheryl Pollock
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20 4:15 PM
            I found M. sculpturalis on Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum sp.) in my pollinator garden this week. I think the id is right. It was along with probably a hundred bees.

            Sheryl Pollock
            Herndon, VA
          • Wyatt Mangum (wmangum)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20 5:17 PM
              Dear All,
              Thank you for acknowledging my papers on Megachile sculpturalis (the Giant Resin Bee), but to avoid confusion in finding the references, the correct spelling of my last name is Mangum (Man-gum).
              Kind Regards,
              Wyatt