Reproductive info for Fremont's Indigo Bush

  • ahlybbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13 12:47 PM
      I am comparing plant community reproductive responses in burned and unburned areas of the Mojave desert region of southern Utah. I am comparing flower and fruit set data on several plant species and sampling pollinator communities in burned and unburned areas as well. I am struggling to find information about the breeding system and pollinators of Psorothamnus fremontii (Fremont's Indigo Bush). Literature searches so far have not proven successful, if anyone has any info they can send my way I would greatly appreciate it!

      Andrew Lybbert
      Masters Student
      Brigham Young University
      Provo, UT
    • John Ascher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13 1:08 PM
        Many visitation records for the genus and species are recorded as "Dalea" and "Dalea fremontii" and varieties in Hurd (1979: 2677) [red Hymenoptera Catalog available online].

        Here is a useful reference about bee visitors to Psorothamnus scoparius:
        http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/25009566

        It's bee fauna has been relatively well studied at Willcox, Arizona.

        I can export records of bees captured from this plant in our AMNH database if you're interested and Terry Griswold et al. surely have many Psorothamnus bee visitation records in the BBSL database.

        John

        John S. Ascher, PhD
        Research Scientist
        Division of Invertebrate Zoology
        American Museum of Natural History
        Central Park W @ 79th St.
        New York, NY 10024-5192
        212-496-3447 work
        917-407-0378 cell

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13 1:11 PM
          >I am comparing plant community reproductive responses in burned and
          >unburned areas of the Mojave desert region of southern Utah. I am
          >comparing flower and fruit set data on several plant species and
          >sampling pollinator communities in burned and unburned areas as
          >well. I am struggling to find information about the breeding system
          >and pollinators of Psorothamnus fremontii (Fremont's Indigo Bush).
          >Literature searches so far have not proven successful, if anyone has
          >any info they can send my way I would greatly appreciate it!

          As we work data into the system, increasing numbers of bee records
          asociated with known plants are appearing on Discover Life. For
          example, if you go to the DL Global Mapper
          (http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20m?act=make_map) and type in
          "Psorothamnus fremontii" you'll see a number of listed records from
          Utah State's BBSL, the Berkeley entomology collection (EMEC), and UC
          Riverside - all of these are bee records from that host plant, nearly
          200 in total. You can do the same for any plant species; just look
          for records that are not from an herbarium (or the AMNH plant bug
          database)! You can restrict the search to just the listed entomology
          databases, so the herbarium records aren't even mapped.

          Peace,

        • bezray@surewest.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20 8:25 AM
            Hello,
            I am learning how to identify bees, but am having trouble determining the length
            vs. width characteristic of the malar space. Does anyone have any advice on the
            best way to determine this characteristic?
            Thank you,
            Briana Ezray

            Willamette University ‘14
            Student Worker- Oregon Department of Agriculture: Insect Pest Prevention and
            Management Section
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20 9:59 AM
              Yep, starting out it is a bit confusing...

              Here are some of my thoughts.

              1.  Few people actually measure the malar space with a measuring device...it is all by eye and by comparison.
              2.  Ignore the bumps that are that are the attachment points for the manidible
              3.  Measure from the bottom of the compound eye and consider the malar area to only be the unbroken portion between the rim of the eye and the mandible
              4.  Expect that the malar space will vary to some degree among individuals within a species and that malar space will be very important for species with extremely short and the extremely long malar spaces, but relatively unimportant for the inbetween ones which in DL guides are usually scored for having all the various malar states.
              5.  If unsure, then don't use the character.

              sam

              Sam Droege  sdroege@...

              A Noiseless Patient Spider

              A noiseless patient spider,
              I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
              Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
              It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
              Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.

              And you O my soul where you stand,
              Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
              Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
              Till the bridge you will need be form'd, till the ductile anchor hold,
              Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.

                   -- Walt Whitman

              From:<bezray@...>
              To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              Date:07/20/2012 11:25 AM