Re: [beemonitoring] Which Bees Pollinate Soybeans?

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
      Another paper, not particularly useful for North Americans, is Fujita et al, 1997 "The extent of natural cross-pollination in wild soybeans (Glycine soja)" Journal of Heredity 88: 124-128.

      best

      Jack

      From: lkuder@...
      Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 03:38:07 +0000
      Subject: [beemonitoring] Which Bees Pollinate Soybeans?

      Hello, All –

      In preparation for an upcoming project, I am trying to gather info on bee species that pollinate soybeans. While these legumes are self-pollinating, a few studies indicate that their yield is enhanced by insect pollination. A study conducted in Indiana USA (Ortiz-Perez et al. 2007) used alfalfa leaf cutter bees (Megachile rotundata F.) Another experiment carried out in Brazil (Chiari et al. 2005) focused on honeybees (Apis mellifera L.). Is anyone aware of other species that might pollinate soybeans? Or flies perhaps?

      Thanks,
      Lisa Kuder
      Maryland USA

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          beemonitoring-digest@yahoogroups.com
          beemonitoring-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
        Palmer, R., P. Perez, et al. (2009). "The role of crop-pollinator relationships in breeding for pollinator-friendly legumes: from a breeding perspective." Euphytica.
                 Breeders are encouraged to develop breeding approaches that strive to integrate food production into the healthy functioning of agro-ecosystems. In the case of legumes, this approach should preserve bee fauna by providing suitable floral resources within the crops themselves. In parallel, legume breeding for sustainable agriculture is linked to the development of environmental services. Foraging places and nesting sites for solitary and social bees are some of the ecological services provided for legumes. Crops with floral attractiveness and rewards for insects can be used to enhance pollinator conservation as well as crop yield and yield stability. We analyze how understanding crop-pollinator relationships (CPR) can contribute to the production of high-yielding and pollinator-friendly varieties by examining: (1) The status of knowledge on mating systems and floral traits; (2) The contribution of CPR understanding to plant breeding for both hybrid-seed production and open-pollinated population improvement.

        I think there is something about soybeans in this paper.