Re: [beemonitoring] Bee nests: Lithurgus chrysurus and Halictid

  • Laurence Packer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2012
      Agapostemon virescens is communal based on the same reference
      - with some solitary nests.
      Semisocial is a reproductive division of labour among individuals of
      the same generation,
      communal is nest sharing with each individual acting as if solitary within
      the nest - ie digging, provisioning and ovipositing in their own brood cells.
      Of course, how much interference and cheating there may be in such
      "communal" nests is largely unknown.  Though reports of fights at
      nest entrances, rather than welcoming "with open arms" (or more accurately
      open mouthparts to permit food exchange as is known for Australian
      communal bees - Kukuk papers), have been made but not, to my
      knowledge, studied in any detail.

      cheers

      laurence