Lasioglossum (Dialictus) nests

  • Robert Jean
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      Dear all,
      I recently was walking around a farm field and stumbled across a large Dialictus colony (I believe they are Lasioglossum versatum).  The nest density was incredibly high in some areas - the colony covered about 15X30 m with up to 200-250 nest holes per square meter.  There were thousands of males hovering around the nest holes and they were pouncing on females and each other.  So I have a few questions - Are Dialictus colonies regularly this large?  Do they tend to use the same areas in multiple years?  Are the males out earlier than usual (everything is about 4-5 weeks advanced this year in Indiana)?  Often I dont start seeing male Dialictus until August or September.  Any other info on good literature on Dialictus nesting would also be appreciated.  Many thanks,
      Rob Jean
      Assistant Professor of Ecology
      Saint Mary of the Woods College
      Saint Mary of the Woods IN
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
        Re: [beemonitoring] Lasioglossum (Dialictus) nests
        I recently was walking around a farm field and stumbled across a large Dialictus colony (I believe they are Lasioglossum versatum).  The nest density was incredibly high in some areas - the colony covered about 15X30 m with up to 200-250 nest holes per square meter.  There were thousands of males hovering around the nest holes and they were pouncing on females and each other.  So I have a few questions - Are Dialictus colonies regularly this large?  Do they tend to use the same areas in multiple years?  Are the males out earlier than usual (everything is about 4-5 weeks advanced this year in Indiana)?  Often I dont start seeing male Dialictus until August or September.  Any other info on good literature on Dialictus nesting would also be appreciated.  Many thanks,

        Many of the primitively eusocial halictines are capable of forming large, dense aggregations, but it requires a fairly special and stable set of conditions persisting - as you suggest - for many years. From work that I and others have done, halictines tend to be *extremely* philopatric, initiating their nests within a meter of where they were born [Yanega, D. 1990. Philopatry and nest founding in a primitively social bee, Halictus rubicundus. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 27: 37-42]. As long as the soil and foraging conditions remain favorable for years, populations can build up for a long time - and crash rather abruptly. John Wenzel did some genetic work on Dialictus aggregations (in river banks in Kansas) that were only about 10 meters apart and found significant genetic differentiation even on that spatial scale, indicating that rather little movement occurs between aggregations. I've also published work showing that higher temperatures increase the proportion of male eggs being laid, and the more males there are appearing early in the season, the fewer workers are recruited per nest within the aggregation (it appears that if a female mates immediately after emerging, she becomes an early-season gyne and goes into diapause rather than becoming a worker - and the more males, the more likely it is that females are to get mated immediately). Male production also appears to follow photoperiod, with the highest proportion of male eggs being laid near the summer solstice - so in about 1 or 2 more weeks, the emerging brood should be almost exclusively males, and then gradually the proportion of females should increase again, as the late-season gynes emerge. [Yanega, D. 1993. Environmental effects on male production and social structure in Halictus rubicundus (Hymenoptera: Halictidae). Insectes Sociaux 40: 169-180, and Yanega, D. 1997. Demography and sociality in halictine bees (Hymenoptera: Halictidae). pp. 293-315 in Choe, J.C. & Crespi, B.J. (eds.) Social Competition and Cooperation in Insects and Arachnids: Vol. II. Evolution of Sociality. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton - I have no copies available of either work].

        Peace,
        --

        Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
        Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012

          Rob- Other Kansas folks published detailed studies of this bee: life histories, nesting and sociality, both Mich as well as Suzanne Batra.  I found them listed in JSTOR.  Here is one of them.

          The Bionomics of a Primitively Social Bee, Lasioglossum versatum (Hymenoptera: Halictidae)

          Charles D. Michener

          Page 193 of 193-217

          JKES 1966 39(2)

          Jim

          ===============================

          James H. Cane

          Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

          tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

          email: Jim.Cane@...

          web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

          publications: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/piru/

        • John Ascher
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
            Jim,

            Thanks for sending the citation, but please note that the work at Kansas pertains at least in part not to true L. versatum (=rohweri) but rather to a different bee species resembling versatum of authors (=callidum) and described recently by Jason Gibbs [see Gibbs, 2010, Zootaxa, Revision of Lasioglossum (Dialictus) of Canada, p. 346]. He later described the species as as L. trigeminum Gibbs, 2011 (Zootaxa, revision of eastern US species).

            The very confusing recent application of the name versatum to the very common species previously well known as rohweri and reinstatment of the obscure synonym callidum for versatum of authors was based on an unfortunate lectotype designation by LaBerge (published in Webb, 1980), i.e. one at odds with traditional usage. If LaBerge's lectotype designations in Webb (1980) are valid and must be followed, this may destabilize taxonomy of Nomada and perhaps other genera when these are revised.

            John

            John S. Ascher, PhD
            Research Scientist
            Division of Invertebrate Zoology