the pesticide Clothianidin...next week EPA decides!

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2012
      Hi all, our EPA next week issues a decision on the usage/ or the bann of Clothianidin.

      So many 'polinator groups' are 'buzzing'...adviseing the ban of this pesticide based upon it's impact on our honeybees health.

      Please comment (if you have thoughts on this matter. thanks, charlie guevara, fingerlakes/US
    • Dave Hunter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2012

        Clothianidin is toxic to solitary bees as well.  I’d add imidacloprid to the list as toxic to both honey bee and solitary bee.

        It would be nice to rise up one level and look at neonicotinoids as a whole.  Although there will be unbelievable lobbying chemical company pressure to retain this family, it seems to do much harm to our pollinators.

        The Recent Review of Research into the Effects of Neonicontinoid Insecticides on Bees with Recommendations for Action by Hopwood, Vaughan, Shepherd, Biddinger, Mader, Hoffman Black, and Mazzacano is a very well-produced review.  To have this document in front of the EPA would be helpful.

        Dave Hunter

        O. 425.949.7954

        C. 206.851.1263

        www.crownbees.com