Taking Insect Specimen Pictures Cheaper and Better than any Microscope Setup

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
      All

      We have been working with Dr. Anthony Gutierrez and Graham Snodgrass with the U S Army Institute of Public Health to develop a system of taking high quality specimen pictures that won't break the bank. Set up is still not cheap, it may cost you around $8000, but it beats the price of almost any good microscope stacking system and we think it takes better quality pictures, plus you have a camera you can use for other things too, and it takes a relatively little space, and it's relatively foolproof, and you can take it out in the field with you.

      Rather than try to explain all this in an e-mail we have put together a PDF and Word version of the specs for how to set this system up. You can download those documents at our FTP site using the following URLs:

      PDF version
      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/How%20to%20Take%20MacroPhotographs%20of%20Insects%20BIML%20Lab2.pdf
      WORD version
      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/How%20to%20Take%20MacroPhotographs%20of%20Insects%20BIML%20Lab2.docx

      Note that all browsers support downloading FTP documents.

      You can see examples of our pictures, we have put up just a few right now but our plans are to put up thousands in the future at:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml
      An actual government approved the Flickr account

      And here is a nice way to view some of our pictures using their slideshow feature
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml/show/

      All these pictures are Creative Commons licensed, superhigh resolution, free for you to download and do what you want with them.… And we encourage that.  you will see a bit of variation in the pictures as we learned the process but even our poorest ones are pretty good.

      Have fun

      Sam

      Five Landscapes

      One

      Green moves through the tops of trees and grows
      lighter greens as it recedes, each of which includes a grey, and among the
      greys, or beyond them, waning finely into white, there is one white spot,
      absolute; it could be an egret or perhaps a crane at the edge of the water
      where it meets a strip of sand.

      Two

      There is a single, almost dazzling white spot of a white house out loud
      against the fields, and the forest in lines
      receding, rises,
      and then planes. Color,

      in pieces or entire; its presence
      veneers over want; in all its moving parts, it could be something else

      half-hidden by trees. Conservatory, gloriette, gazebo, or bandshell,
      a door ajar on the top floor.

      Three

      The trees are half air. They fissure the sky; you could count the leaves, pare
      time
      defined as that which,
      no matter how barely, exceeds
      what the eye could grasp in a glance;
      intricate woods opening out before a body of water edged
      with a swatch of meadow where someone has hung a bright white sheet
      out in the sun to dry.

      Four

      A white bird in a green forest is a danger to itself. Stands out. Shines. Builds
      up inside. Like it's dangerous to cry while driving or to talk to strangers or to
      stare at the sun and a thousand other things
      we've always heard
      people who wear white see better at night, though they gradually lose this
      trait as they age.

      Five

      The air across the valley is slightly hazy though thinning though patches
      remain between the groves of trees that edge a clearing in which stands a
      single house. A child in a white t-shirt has just walked out of the house and
      is turning to walk down to the lake.

      - Cole Swensen
    • david almquist
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012
        sorry for any crossposting

        I've done a lot of stacking, mostly with Automontage, but more recently with Zerene software. This is a great setup, although much more expensive than it has to be for most labs and not ideal in some ways. A few comments:

        The Canon EOS 5D MarkII is overkill for most laboratory needs. The other EOS cameras, such as the 7d or 60d are a grand or two less and are still overkill for scientific publications or even any printing over 8.5x11 or so at 300dpi.

        I've played around with my mpe 65 for stacked images and it was not as clear as using a good microscope, but it is a great lens for this as long as you always use the lowest number f-stop possible and always use iso 100 if possible. Really though, I would suggest checking out the cost differential between a scope and the mpe.

        If you're using flashes, there shouldn't be any need to set the exposure to anything other then 1/250. For shooting stacks, I don't like having the flashes attached to the lens and would not use the mt24exes, as although they are great for in-the-field macro, they change the lighting as you move in when doing stacks, especially on "larger" subjects, such as most bees. I would suggest playing around with 2 fixed flashes not connected to the lens, but positioned near the specimen, as they will give more uniform lighting. Some of the EOS cameras, such as the 7d, will control 430 or other flashes wirelessly.

        An automated system for taking x number of images within a certain focal range is nice and quick for automation, but may not be as good as hand/custom increments for some subjects and is definitely not a necessity. A rail of some sort is definitely a necessity if not using a scope though. I'm not sure about this automated system, but one that I used in the past introduced fuzziness, especially for antennae, because there was not enough of a pause between shots to let vibrations die down.

        I've used automontage software a good bit and have an older version of it, but Zerene is both better, at least than my older version, and much less expensive, even for the pro version, and the customer service is awesome. I highly recommend it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012

          David make some good points here and I just want to add some comments and I have intersperse them below with the leading dot.

          Sam

          From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
          To:<beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:06/06/2012 11:08 PM
          Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          sorry for any crossposting

          I've done a lot of stacking, mostly with Automontage, but more recently with Zerene software. This is a great setup, although much more expensive than it has to be for most labs and not ideal in some ways. A few comments:

          The
          Canon EOS 5D MarkII is overkill for most laboratory needs. The other EOS cameras, such as the 7d or 60d are a grand or two less and are still overkill for scientific publications or even any printing over 8.5x11 or so at 300dpi.

          • True you can use any number of large sensor digital cameras here. We chose the 5D to maximize our ability to enlarged to poster size.

[...]

          • In our set up we have disconnected the fuel flashes from the lands and have them lying next to the specimen tower with the flashes pointed into the Styrofoam box so that the flash reaching the specimen is by balance rather than directly. Any direct flash on the specimen, at least in the set up produces too much glare off the shiny integument.

            An automated system for taking x number of images within a certain focal range is nice and quick for automation, but may not be as good as hand/custom increments for some subjects and is definitely not a necessity. A rail of some sort is definitely a necessity if not using a scope though. I'm not sure about this automated system, but one that I used in the past introduced fuzziness, especially for antennae, because there was not enough of a pause between shots to let vibrations die down.
          • With the Stackshot rail you can program a pause between flashes, but we haven't found it necessary possibly because we are working on a very heavy desk and have made the specimen in camera very stable

            I've used automontage software a good bit and have an older version of it, but Zerene is both better, at least than my older version, and much less expensive, even for the pro version, and the customer service is awesome. I highly recommend it.
          • One nice thing about Zerene is that you can "fix" certain areas in a stack of pictures as the "master"which is useful when you have complicated specimens in which sometimes stacking program gets confused as to what should be in focus and what should not.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2012
            http://jtlcorp.com/05pss/digitebox.html

            An alternative light box for macro work.

            David Inouye

            Dr. David W. Inouye, Professor
            Associate Chair, Director of Graduate Studies
            Dept. of Biology
            University of Maryland
            College Park, MD 20742-4415

            Rocky Mtn. Biological Laboratory