food dehydrator for drying bees

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2012

      All,

      Several weeks ago I wrote to the list asking about removing mold from dry bee specimens. Thanks to all who replied. One person recommended a dessicator to avoid the problem and I have been using one this year, but the lab director recommended that I try their food dehydrator.

      Has anyone tried this? The Excalibur company that makes it claims it can be used for craft projects (no temp. recommended) & herbs (they recommend 95 degrees, compared to the higher temps for wetter foods).  The only potential problem is the lab's model doesn't have a fan that turns off. That worries me, and I don't have a recommended drying time. I welcome any experiences or suggestions regarding using this apparatus for this purpose.

      Also, regarding removing mold: I am trying painting/bathing my dry, pinned bees in absolute alcohol using a camel's hair brush. Remarkably, I am losing very few appendages.  Depending on how moldy specimens are, they come out looking better to much better...I will let the list know whether they get moldy again.

      Barb

      Barbara J Abraham, PhD

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Chapter Advisor