marking solitary bees

  • Goodell, Karen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2012

      Hello,

      I am studying Megachile populations using trap-nests.  I have a large number of cocoons from nests collected last summer that I want to release in the field this summer.  I would like to be able to mark the bees (at least some of them) to determine if they generally nest in the same area where released or whether they are traveling between locations about 1 km apart. Bees would bees site specific marks that remain visible for weeks so that I can track the frequency of marked individuals establishing nests and foraging locally.  The question is what is the safest and most efficient way of marking the bees?  The cocoons contain pupae at this time. I have to wait until after metamorphosis to mark them.  Is it best to try opening the cocoons and mark before emergence, ensuring as natural an emergence as possible or is it better to let them emerge in the lab , mark them, then release them?  I am considering paint marks, such as Testor’s paint. The field site is some distance from the lab and therefore bees emerging in the lab might experience a day or two in the fridge or cool environment before getting released.  Labor is a consideration as well.  There are several thousand cocoons across 12 sites, most of which appear to contain viable pupae.

      I would welcome suggestions.

      Karen Goodell

      Associate Professor

      Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology

      The Ohio State University

      Newark, OH 43055

      Office Phone: 740-366-9101

      Lab Phone: 740-366-9111