bee and syrphid survey in Denali NPP

  • Rykken, Jessica
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2012

      I will be doing a park inventory for bees and syrphid flies in Denali NPP this summer, and since my bee collecting has been restricted to Massachusetts and Virginia, I wonder if anyone with experience sampling bees in interior Alaska or similar landscapes might be able to give me some advice about traps, target habitats, or anything else worth considering.

      I’ll be in the park from mid-June to the end of July, which will capture the height of the flowering season.  I plan to use a net, bee bowls, blue vane traps (esp. for bumblebees), and one malaise trap (primarily for syrphid flies).  I’ll bring some 2’ wire garden stakes with wire loops on the top to hold bee bowls up off the ground in hummocky or dense terrain. I’ll leave any traps set up only for a day at a time, to minimize harassment by wildlife.  Soapy water in bee bowls, Vapona strips in blue vane traps.

      I’ll be using the 90-mile park highway to get to sampling sites, and so will have access to a variety of elevations and habitat types.  Some of the habitats I plan to target are areas of high or interesting plant diversity, early successional habitats, south facing slopes and bluffs, tundra, river bars, wetlands, and alpine meadows.

      Any input would be appreciated!

      Thanks.

      Jessica Rykken

      jrykken@...