The use of WIPs in Bee Identification

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2012
      All

      This is a story of how Facebook advances Taxonomy.

      Yesterday I posted a picture of Colletes mitchelli on my facebook page (I will send a copy of this in a separate email).  Ellen Bulger (bee head and artist) commented on the lovely shimmer in the wings.  Doug Yanega (insect/bee head and I am not sure if he is an artist or not) then mentioned that this was clearly a WIP.  I had never heard of a WIP and ask Doug who then replied:

      ‎"Wing intereference pattern" - there was a big article about it in PNAS last year. An example is http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh8wp61ZZe1qc6j5yo1_500.jpg

      another nice figure is in Zookeys: http://www.pensoft.net/J_FILES/1/articles/2158/export.php_files/ZooKeys-154-009-g006.jpg

      Matt Buffington (microhymenoptera head, and serious vacuum-tube audiophile) then send a pdf of his recent paper using this technique in micros.

      The occurrence and phylogenetic implications of wing interference patterns in Cynipoidea (Insecta :Hymenoptera)
      Matthew L. BuffingtonA,C and Robert J. Sandler
      Invertebrate Systematics, 2011, 25, 586–597

      I will send a picture of this in a separate email

      This was well and good, but it was unclear if it was a useful construct for bees.  Today, I was looking at specimens of small Andrenidae from the Black Hills from David Drons and was splitting things by genus.  All of a sudden I was aware of high WIP reflections from a Psuedopanurgus.  I then decided to sort the female Pseudopanurgi by WIP only and damn if it didn't work out straight on morpho species lines.

      Take home lessen here is that I think it it would be worth while for all of us to explore this phenomenon on at least hard to identify small species.

      Best viewing if WIPs is to have the light source from above and a black background behind.

      Good luck.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      Birdwings

      Your grief for what you've lost lifts a mirror
      up to where you're bravely working.

      Expecting the worst,you look, and instead,
      here's the joyful face you've been wanting to see.

      Your hand opens and closes and opens and closes.
      If it were always a fist or always stretched open,
      you would be paralyzed.

      Your deepest presence is in every small contracting

      and expanding,the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated
      as birdwings.

          - Rumi
    • Riddle,T Charles
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2012