Re: [beemonitoring] fading yellow paint on propylene glycol cup traps [3 Attachments]

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2012

      Tracy,

      I also use Ace fluorescent spray paints, but use the plastic primer first.  The primer comes in blue and yellow.  I leave my 12 oz stadium cups out for a week at a time, once a month from April to October.  I have been using the same cups since 2009.  The cups are starting to get a little brittle now, but for the most part are still functioning as of last trapping session in April.  Three of my sites are pretty hot and dry (desert shrub, desert grassland, and pinjon-juniper).

      Hope this helps,

      Dave
    • Zarrillo, Tracy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2012

        Thanks Dave and to all who have responded!

        A few people wanted to know why I was adding bleach to the RV grade glycol…..the purpose is to remove the pink color.  Sam had recommended only using 1 TBSP of bleach, however I have found that it takes at least 2 TBSP for my solution to turn clear……I am uncertain about what effects the bleach may be having on bee catch, either as an attractant or repellant…….. I do get good numbers of bees in the traps though.

        My correspondence with the group has led to another question…..I am curious if most people are using the pure, clear, food grade quality propylene glycol vs. the pink formulation found at most auto stores?  Has anyone ever tested the various formulations (pink without bleach, pink with bleach, pink with bleach added but “gassed out” and pure, clear propylene glycol) against numbers of bees captured or cup fading?

        We just started a long-term bee monitoring program in CT last year, and are following Sam’s protocols for the USFS glycol pilot study using the 9 cup trap array at various locations in the state.

        Thanks!

        ~Tracy

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2013
          Hello Beemonitoring Group!

          I've enjoyed receiving and reading messages from this group for some time now. I'm excited now to truly dive in!

          This August, my husband and I relocated from New York to Nebraska where I have begun a graduate research assistantship with the Department of Entomology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. One of my duties here is to head up the Bumble Boosters program, a citizen science project whose mission is to research bumble bees in Nebraska. In addition to having participants study bumble bee distribution, abundance, floral preferences, etc., the project continues to take a crack at an old nut- trying to design a usable artificial bumble bee domicile.

          This coming spring, we will be launching a new year and a new design. I have begun a literature review and will also be mining past discussions within this group. However, I wanted to reach out and ask you to share any insights you've come across recently that might help me design a more usable domicile for Bumble Booster participants.

          Thank you in advance to those who are willing to share. If anyone is interested in a consolidation of the responses, just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to pass it along.

          Kind regards,
          Louise I. Lynch

          Graduate Research Assistant
          University of Nebraska-Lincoln