Re: [Pollinator] New video about pollinators

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2012
      Dear Matthew:

      I'm all for simple but a simple message is pure propaganda unless it goes hand-in-hand with fact.

      1) Close ups of the honeybee and the beetle didn't show them pollinating anything.  Couldn't the Nature Conservancy afford some relevant footage?  How about a bumblebee sonicating a tomato flower or bees on the flowers of fruit trees?
      2) Pollinator gardens preserve nothing unless nesting and burrowing sites are also protected and preserved (nothing about that in the message).
      3)  How do pollinators make turkey and beef sandwiches possible when the video insists that grasses and edible grains are pollinated by wind?  We might also add that most soybeans grown for animal feed today self-pollinate.  Supposedly, in Canada and parts of Texas the canola and sunflowers used to make the oil to fry those chips comes from self-pollinating cultigens these days (correct me if I'm wrong but I gave evidence at one of those self-pollinating sunflower cases).

      The video spends so much time on the picnic it loses the opportunity to show what happens when a flower is pollinated.  Surely they could have had a nice micrograph, SEM or even a time lapse film showing what happens when appropriate pollen lands on a receptive stigma?  Most people have never seen a pollen grain magnified.  Why not have a nice grain with the interior cells stained to show it's really just sperm in a box?  No, we had to spend the time watching the kids make a little garden and goof off around a picnic table.

      This is nothing but another environmentalist message filled with good intentions but isn't the road to hell paved with good intentions?  It fosters the lie that you can protect an ecological service without learning any basic natural history.  Our students here at SLU feel good about their actions on the sustainability committee.  This documentary is propaganda (bad propaganda).

      Am I too picky?  Very likely.  Do you know this one?  How many Juilliard students does it take to screw in a light bulb?
      Answer. 100,  One student screws in the bulb while 99 sit, watch and say, "I could have done it better."

      On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Matthew Shepherd <mdshepherd@...> wrote:

      I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it was for the 15-25 year-old, YouTube crowd. This video apparently was designed with them in mind. The message might be simple, but simple works well if the viewer remembers the message!