fading yellow paint on propylene glycol cup traps

  • Zarrillo, Tracy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2012
    Hello everyone,

    In previous years, I have used Ace brand yellow and blue fluorescent spray paint on my glycol cup traps (standard white party cups), but found that the solvents made the cups very brittle. This season I switched to the paint formulation by Guerra, and am finding that the yellow pigment is fading within one week, so much so that we need to exchange traps out for freshly painted cups within 2 weeks.

    I am using full strength pink RV grade low-tox antifreeze mixed with 2 tbsp. bleach/gallon and a bit of Dawn soap as the liquid for the cups. The cups are filled to within 1/2" from the top lip.....and the fading seems to be concentrated near the upper portion of the cup.

    I am attaching several photos to demonstrate what is happening. Has anyone else experienced fading with this paint? I am also wondering what other types of paint people are using for glycol cup traps?

    Thanks in advance!

    Sincerely,
    Tracy Zarrillo

    Tracy Zarrillo
    The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
    123 Huntington Street
    New Haven, CT 06511
    Tracy.Zarrillo@...
    (203) 974-8473
  • Greenstone, Matt
    Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2012

      My traps stay out all summer and I found that the party cups were deteriorating after a few weeks, developing holes, cracks, etc. So I have switched to Corning 1730 Snap-seal cups, 240 ml (8 oz.), “low-profile.” They’re 80mm diam. at the top tapering to 65 mm at the bottom, and 75 mm high. The snap-tops are captive, held on with a strap on the side. I cut them off but save them for closing the traps when they’re not in use. Before putting caps back on, I melt a tiny hole in the middle with a hot dissecting needle, so air inside can expand and contract with temperature without blowing off the top or letting arthropods in.

      My preservative is veterinary grade propylene glycol, 50:50 with water, plus a squirt of Dawn, 100 ml/trap. So far no problem with the Ace fluorescent paints, but they’ve only been out 3 weeks. If they can withstand weathering, I reckon these traps will pay for themselves vs. continually buying cheap party cups and painting them.

      Trap on!

      Matt G

      [Attachment(s) from Zarrillo, Tracy included below]

    • David_r_smith@fws.gov
      Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2012

        Tracy,

        I also use Ace fluorescent spray paints, but use the plastic primer first.  The primer comes in blue and yellow.  I leave my 12 oz stadium cups out for a week at a time, once a month from April to October.  I have been using the same cups since 2009.  The cups are starting to get a little brittle now, but for the most part are still functioning as of last trapping session in April.  Three of my sites are pretty hot and dry (desert shrub, desert grassland, and pinjon-juniper).

        Hope this helps,

        Dave
      • Zarrillo, Tracy
        Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2012

          Thanks Dave and to all who have responded!

          A few people wanted to know why I was adding bleach to the RV grade glycol…..the purpose is to remove the pink color.  Sam had recommended only using 1 TBSP of bleach, however I have found that it takes at least 2 TBSP for my solution to turn clear……I am uncertain about what effects the bleach may be having on bee catch, either as an attractant or repellant…….. I do get good numbers of bees in the traps though.

          My correspondence with the group has led to another question…..I am curious if most people are using the pure, clear, food grade quality propylene glycol vs. the pink formulation found at most auto stores?  Has anyone ever tested the various formulations (pink without bleach, pink with bleach, pink with bleach added but “gassed out” and pure, clear propylene glycol) against numbers of bees captured or cup fading?

          We just started a long-term bee monitoring program in CT last year, and are following Sam’s protocols for the USFS glycol pilot study using the 9 cup trap array at various locations in the state.

          Thanks!

          ~Tracy

          Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29 3:45 PM
            Hello Beemonitoring Group!

            I've enjoyed receiving and reading messages from this group for some time now. I'm excited now to truly dive in!

            This August, my husband and I relocated from New York to Nebraska where I have begun a graduate research assistantship with the Department of Entomology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. One of my duties here is to head up the Bumble Boosters program, a citizen science project whose mission is to research bumble bees in Nebraska. In addition to having participants study bumble bee distribution, abundance, floral preferences, etc., the project continues to take a crack at an old nut- trying to design a usable artificial bumble bee domicile.

            This coming spring, we will be launching a new year and a new design. I have begun a literature review and will also be mining past discussions within this group. However, I wanted to reach out and ask you to share any insights you've come across recently that might help me design a more usable domicile for Bumble Booster participants.

            Thank you in advance to those who are willing to share. If anyone is interested in a consolidation of the responses, just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to pass it along.

            Kind regards,
            Louise I. Lynch

            Graduate Research Assistant
            University of Nebraska-Lincoln