RE: [beemonitoring] fungus on dried bee specimens

  • Deana Crumbling
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2012

      Another option to avoid mold is to complete the drying of bees in a dessicator. All chemistry departments have them...perhaps you could borrow?

      --Deana

      Inactive hide details for Rob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimeRob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period

      From: Rob Snyder <rooert61@...>
      To: <barbara.abraham@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: 05/02/2012 06:44 PM
      Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] fungus on dried bee specimens
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period of time after.

      Rob

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: barbara.abraham@...
      Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 21:24:56 +0000
      Subject: [beemonitoring] fungus on dried bee specimens

      All,

      Is there any non-toxic way to kill fungus on dried bee specimens? Is there any way to treat the boxes so they can be reused?

      I do not have access to a freezer in which to store my specimens. I am going to try a desk lamp for complete drying this summer, and hope the mice and earwigs in the lab don’t like their bees cooked!

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA 23668

      757-727-5283

      barbara.abraham@... All,

    • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2012

        Thanks to Maria for reminding me that Sam has almost EVERYTHING a novice bee collector needs to know in the Handy Bee Manual!