fungus on dried bee specimens

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2012

      All,

      Is there any non-toxic way to kill fungus on dried bee specimens? Is there any way to treat the boxes so they can be reused?

      I do not have access to a freezer in which to store my specimens. I am going to try a desk lamp for complete drying this summer, and hope the mice and earwigs in the lab don’t like their bees cooked!

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA  23668

      757-727-5283

      barbara.abraham@... All,

    • Maria Van Dyke
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2012
        Sam has included this information in this Handy Bee Manual which can be found on his ftp site

        ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/

        Go to handy Bee Manual, then go to Page 33. I used this and it worked well. Like it says in the document, some bees still have some mold on them, but I could see parts much better.

        Maria

        2012/5/2 <barbara.abraham@...>

        All,

        Is there any non-toxic way to kill fungus on dried bee specimens? Is there any way to treat the boxes so they can be reused?

        I do not have access to a freezer in which to store my specimens. I am going to try a desk lamp for complete drying this summer, and hope the mice and earwigs in the lab don’t like their bees cooked!

        Barb

        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor

        SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

        Department of Biological Sciences

        Hampton University

        Hampton, VA  23668

        757-727-5283

        barbara.abraham@... All,

        The Virginia Food System Council - virginiafoodsystemcouncil.org
        o:(434) 977-2033 ext 22, c:(707) 980-8568
        "Working to increase successful linkages between food producers and consumers at all income levels."

        Virginia Working Landscapes Group - vaworkinglandscapes.org
        o:(540 )635-0041, c:(707) 980-8568
        Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
        Front Royal, VA
      • Rob Snyder
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2012
          I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period of time after.

          Rob

          To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2012

            Another option to avoid mold is to complete the drying of bees in a dessicator. All chemistry departments have them...perhaps you could borrow?

            --Deana

            Inactive hide details for Rob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimeRob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period

            From: Rob Snyder <rooert61@...>
            To: <barbara.abraham@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: 05/02/2012 06:44 PM
            Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] fungus on dried bee specimens
            Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2012

              Thanks to Maria for reminding me that Sam has almost EVERYTHING a novice bee collector needs to know in the Handy Bee Manual!