Bee trapping with Ethylene Glycol

  • nativebeesdotcom
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2012
      Sam told me beetle trappers often use ethylene glycol. Has anyone used this substance for bees, and has it worked? For those who have, do you have any concerns about its use? Do the bees show a preference for ethylene glycol over propylene glycol?
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2012

        >Sam told me beetle trappers often use ethylene glycol. Has anyone
        >used this substance for bees, and has it worked? For those who have,
        >do you have any concerns about its use? Do the bees show a
        >preference for ethylene glycol over propylene glycol?

        Random wildlife will drink ethylene glycol, and it's toxic; as far as
        I know, people who use it make special lids that prevent animals from
        drinking the solution. I don't know of side-by-side "attractivenes"s
        assays, but do know that PG preserves DNA better.

        Peace,

      • david almquist
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2012
          Most of the "beetle trappers" who I know, and I'm one, use propylene glycol, either in the form of Low-Tox antifreeze or, better yet, the pure stuff that is used as a food additive.  As Doug said, PG is much less toxic.  I don't have a reference handy, but I remember reading somewhere that it is also less sweet/attractive to mammals.  If you have to get a permit, antifreeze may well be forbidden unless you use PG and make it very clear that you are using that and not EG.  The PG preserves beetles amazingly well, but at least the Low-Tox can make specimens permanently flexible if they're stored in it for too long.

          To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          From: dyanega@...
          Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:24:49 -0700
          Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bee trapping with Ethylene Glycol

          >Sam told me beetle trappers often use ethylene glycol. Has anyone
          >used this substance for bees, and has it worked? For those who have,
          >do you have any concerns about its use? Do the bees show a
          >preference for ethylene glycol over propylene glycol?

          Random wildlife will drink ethylene glycol, and it's toxic; as far as
          I know, people who use it make special lids that prevent animals from
          drinking the solution. I don't know of side-by-side "attractivenes"s
          assays, but do know that PG preserves DNA better.

        • Greenstone, Matt
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2012

            As evidence of its low toxicity to mammals, propylene glycol is used as a feed additive for cattle to treat and prevent ketosis. You can get it – cheap - from veterinary supply companies.

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: dyanega@...
            Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:24:49 -0700

          • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2012

              All,

              Is there any non-toxic way to kill fungus on dried bee specimens? Is there any way to treat the boxes so they can be reused?

              I do not have access to a freezer in which to store my specimens. I am going to try a desk lamp for complete drying this summer, and hope the mice and earwigs in the lab don’t like their bees cooked!

              Barb

              Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

              Associate Professor

              SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

              Department of Biological Sciences

              Hampton University

              Hampton, VA  23668

              757-727-5283

              barbara.abraham@... All,

            • Maria Van Dyke
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2012
                Sam has included this information in this Handy Bee Manual which can be found on his ftp site

                ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/

                Go to handy Bee Manual, then go to Page 33. I used this and it worked well. Like it says in the document, some bees still have some mold on them, but I could see parts much better.

                Maria

                2012/5/2 <barbara.abraham@...>

                All,

                Is there any non-toxic way to kill fungus on dried bee specimens? Is there any way to treat the boxes so they can be reused?

                I do not have access to a freezer in which to store my specimens. I am going to try a desk lamp for complete drying this summer, and hope the mice and earwigs in the lab don’t like their bees cooked!

                Barb

                Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                Associate Professor

                SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

                Department of Biological Sciences

                Hampton University

                Hampton, VA  23668

                757-727-5283

                barbara.abraham@... All,

                The Virginia Food System Council - virginiafoodsystemcouncil.org
                o:(434) 977-2033 ext 22, c:(707) 980-8568
                "Working to increase successful linkages between food producers and consumers at all income levels."

                Virginia Working Landscapes Group - vaworkinglandscapes.org
                o:(540 )635-0041, c:(707) 980-8568
                Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
                Front Royal, VA
              • Rob Snyder
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2012
                  I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period of time after.

                  Rob

                  To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2012

                    Another option to avoid mold is to complete the drying of bees in a dessicator. All chemistry departments have them...perhaps you could borrow?

                    --Deana

                    Inactive hide details for Rob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimeRob Snyder ---05/02/2012 06:44:07 PM---I have used Lysol to get rid of spiderweb-type mold on specimens, you must let them dry for a period

                    From: Rob Snyder <rooert61@...>
                    To: <barbara.abraham@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: 05/02/2012 06:44 PM
                    Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] fungus on dried bee specimens
                    Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2012

                      Thanks to Maria for reminding me that Sam has almost EVERYTHING a novice bee collector needs to know in the Handy Bee Manual!