RE: [beemonitoring] ID?

  • david almquist
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
      Introduced why?

      To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: ascher@...
      Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000
      Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] ID?

      I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

      John

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
        Anothophora plumipes was introduced in the 1980s as a possible agricultural pollinator to Beltsville, Maryland about 1 mile from my lab.   They nest in clay banks in the wild and can be made to nest in adobe or clay blocks which could be transported to fields or simply built in place.    I am not sure that any work has been done with the species in terms of its agricultural pollination potential here in North America, likely due to the fact that it is only recently that their populations have become substantial.  Suzanne Batra retired almost 10 years ago now.

        It is interesting to note that the native Antophora abrupta also nests in the same situations but only comes out in this region in late May while A. plumipes comes out from late March to early April.

        While there has been a lot of work in creating nesting sites for hole nesting bees that occupy drilled holes or the internodes of grasses, nothing to almost nothing (I am hedging my bets here) has been done with clay nesting species in North America.  However, one only has to visit the few traditional adobe structures remaining or the newer strawbale/cob structures that have been plastered with adobe to see that we have a  suite of clay nesting species that can aggregate in large numbers and are therefore amenable to manipulation and even transport to crop fields.

        While potentially useful in that they aggregate and can occupy man-made structures, a bigger question would be to investigate what crops they would be most useful for in pollinating.  I have seen A. plumipes on a variety of blooming woody plants regionally, but have little understanding of where A. abrupta goes to get pollen (other than the prickly pear plants on my property).

        A. plumipes habit of coming out very early in the spring, ability to nest in transportable blocks, and what appears to be its general nature to gather pollen from woody plants make it a candidate for Almond pollination.   On the dark side is the fact that it is a non-native species and its downstream impacts to our native fauna and flora have not be evaluated...though, the opportunity is there since it is rapidly increasing and could be investigated as it invades from its Maryland epicenter.

        Below are collection dates from our database for A. plumipes
        20030402
        20030327
        20040415
        20050509
        20050415
        20050425
        20050509
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050411
        20050425
        20050425
        20050425
        20050425
        20050418
        20050413
        20050413
        20050413
        20050425
        20050405
        20050329
        20060416
        20060416
        20060416
        20060421
        20070329
        20090327
        20090327
        20090327
        20090327
        20090405
        20090405
        20090417
        20090416
        20070524
        20100425
        20100425
        20100425
        20100425
        20110319
        20110418
        20110418
        20110418
        20110420
        20110420
        20110420
        20110420
        20110413
        20110330
        20110429
        20110429
        20110429
        20110410
        20110410
        20110410
        20110429
        20110429
        20110510
        20100422
        20110427

        Here are the dates for A. abrupta

        20060619
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20060602
        20070611
        20070607
        20080615
        20080616
        20080616
        20080616
        20080616
        20080616
        20090530
        20090628
        20090522
        20070607
        20100518
        20100601
        20100601
        20110527
        20110527
        20110603

        sam

        Sam Droege  sdroege@...

        Vernal Equinox

        Dusk. A muddy path above the river.
        Osoberries blooming. Cottonwoods budding.
        Pockets of warm air lingering under willows.
        Rank odors of algae and fish.

        Ground fog settles in the deer-browsed grass.
        Sickle moon and the fires pale stars.
        Spring peepers hush as I approach.
        begin singing again when I've passed by.

        - Charles Goodrichky

        From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
        To:<ascher@...>, <inouye@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
        Date:04/22/2012 12:33 AM
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        Introduced why?

        To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        From: ascher@...
        Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

        I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

        John

        [attachment "30d1871a.jpg" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]

      • Leo Shapiro
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
          Now there's an excellent question, especially since this was not a century ago, before biologists knew any better!

          On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:33 AM, david almquist wrote:

          Introduced why?

          To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          From: ascher@...
          Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
            I have a little colony with nests in the ground in a large space (open on two sides but heavily shaded) under my house in MD, just a few miles from where, I suspect, they were originally released (Beltsville?). I have never seen a black one.

            Sam, why not get hold of some Japanese, MD, and European samples and have a look at their DNA? Or has this been done?

            Leo

            On Apr 21, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Sam Droege wrote:

            All:

            Indeed it is A. plumipes...and they are not  black like many of the European/British individuals.  Their point of origin was Japan where they are lighter and were initially called A. pilipes.   Likely they should be split back to their original names.  This species is now quite common in the D.C. area and populations are growing rapidly.  At my house they have managed to build numerous nests in the mud walls of my house.,

            Note that there are no records for Philadelphia or Baltimore yet!

            sam

            Sam Droege  sdroege@...

            The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
              -Japanese Proverb

            From:David Inouye <inouye@...>
            To:John Ascher <ascher@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date:04/21/2012 05:11 PM
            Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
              John et al.:

              Is it possible the bee in David's photo is Anthophora furcata? The
              thoracic coloration of furcata, I noticed, matches the photo a bit
              better, in having pale hairs at the front and back edges, and the
              pale facial hairs wouldn't be visible from the angle in David's photo:

              http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03.html

              http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6522038695_f8378965ce_z.jpg