RE: [beemonitoring] ID?

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21 2:11 PM
      Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

      At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

      I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

      John

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21 7:06 PM

        Indeed it is A. plumipes...and they are not  black like many of the European/British individuals.  Their point of origin was Japan where they are lighter and were initially called A. pilipes.   Likely they should be split back to their original names.  This species is now quite common in the D.C. area and populations are growing rapidly.  At my house they have managed to build numerous nests in the mud walls of my house.,

        Note that there are no records for Philadelphia or Baltimore yet!

        sam

        Sam Droege  sdroege@...

        The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
          -Japanese Proverb

        From:David Inouye <inouye@...>
        To:John Ascher <ascher@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
        Date:04/21/2012 05:11 PM
        Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] ID?
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

        At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

        I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

        John

        A gardener sent this photo, taken in Maryland.  Know what it is?  Looks like it has some spider web or something like that on a wing.

        Emacs!

      • david almquist
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21 9:33 PM
          Introduced why?

          To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          From: ascher@...
          Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22 8:19 AM
            Anothophora plumipes was introduced in the 1980s as a possible agricultural pollinator to Beltsville, Maryland about 1 mile from my lab.   They nest in clay banks in the wild and can be made to nest in adobe or clay blocks which could be transported to fields or simply built in place.    I am not sure that any work has been done with the species in terms of its agricultural pollination potential here in North America, likely due to the fact that it is only recently that their populations have become substantial.  Suzanne Batra retired almost 10 years ago now.

            It is interesting to note that the native Antophora abrupta also nests in the same situations but only comes out in this region in late May while A. plumipes comes out from late March to early April.

            While there has been a lot of work in creating nesting sites for hole nesting bees that occupy drilled holes or the internodes of grasses, nothing to almost nothing (I am hedging my bets here) has been done with clay nesting species in North America.  However, one only has to visit the few traditional adobe structures remaining or the newer strawbale/cob structures that have been plastered with adobe to see that we have a  suite of clay nesting species that can aggregate in large numbers and are therefore amenable to manipulation and even transport to crop fields.

            While potentially useful in that they aggregate and can occupy man-made structures, a bigger question would be to investigate what crops they would be most useful for in pollinating.  I have seen A. plumipes on a variety of blooming woody plants regionally, but have little understanding of where A. abrupta goes to get pollen (other than the prickly pear plants on my property).

            A. plumipes habit of coming out very early in the spring, ability to nest in transportable blocks, and what appears to be its general nature to gather pollen from woody plants make it a candidate for Almond pollination.   On the dark side is the fact that it is a non-native species and its downstream impacts to our native fauna and flora have not be evaluated...though, the opportunity is there since it is rapidly increasing and could be investigated as it invades from its Maryland epicenter.

            Below are collection dates from our database for A. plumipes
            20030402
            20030327
            20040415
            20050509
            20050415
            20050425
            20050509
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050411
            20050425
            20050425
            20050425
            20050425
            20050418
            20050413
            20050413
            20050413
            20050425
            20050405
            20050329
            20060416
            20060416
            20060416
            20060421
            20070329
            20090327
            20090327
            20090327
            20090327
            20090405
            20090405
            20090417
            20090416
            20070524
            20100425
            20100425
            20100425
            20100425
            20110319
            20110418
            20110418
            20110418
            20110420
            20110420
            20110420
            20110420
            20110413
            20110330
            20110429
            20110429
            20110429
            20110410
            20110410
            20110410
            20110429
            20110429
            20110510
            20100422
            20110427

            Here are the dates for A. abrupta

            20060619
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20060602
            20070611
            20070607
            20080615
            20080616
            20080616
            20080616
            20080616
            20080616
            20090530
            20090628
            20090522
            20070607
            20100518
            20100601
            20100601
            20110527
            20110527
            20110603

            sam

            Sam Droege  sdroege@...

            Vernal Equinox

            Dusk. A muddy path above the river.
            Osoberries blooming. Cottonwoods budding.
            Pockets of warm air lingering under willows.
            Rank odors of algae and fish.

            Ground fog settles in the deer-browsed grass.
            Sickle moon and the fires pale stars.
            Spring peepers hush as I approach.
            begin singing again when I've passed by.

            - Charles Goodrichky

            From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
            To:<ascher@...>, <inouye@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date:04/22/2012 12:33 AM

            To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: ascher@...
            Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

            I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

            John

            [attachment "30d1871a.jpg" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]

          • Leo Shapiro
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22 8:44 AM
              Now there's an excellent question, especially since this was not a century ago, before biologists knew any better!

              On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:33 AM, david almquist wrote:

              Introduced why?

              To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              From: ascher@...
              Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 23 5:30 PM
                  John et al.:

                  Is it possible the bee in David's photo is Anthophora furcata? The
                  thoracic coloration of furcata, I noticed, matches the photo a bit
                  better, in having pale hairs at the front and back edges, and the
                  pale facial hairs wouldn't be visible from the angle in David's photo:

                  http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03.html

                  http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6522038695_f8378965ce_z.jpg