RE: [beemonitoring] ID?

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
      John wrote:

      >I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic
      >species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

      All of the photos I've seen of A. plumipes suggests the females are
      entirely black; e.g.:

      http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo12821.htm

      If the one in David's photo is also plumipes, then that's fairly
      pronounced variation. I would assume, if so, that this has been
      investigated and shown to be some simple Mendelian trait?

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
        Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

        At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

        I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012

          Indeed it is A. plumipes...and they are not  black like many of the European/British individuals.  Their point of origin was Japan where they are lighter and were initially called A. pilipes.   Likely they should be split back to their original names.  This species is now quite common in the D.C. area and populations are growing rapidly.  At my house they have managed to build numerous nests in the mud walls of my house.,

          Note that there are no records for Philadelphia or Baltimore yet!

          sam

          Sam Droege  sdroege@...

          The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
            -Japanese Proverb

          From:David Inouye <inouye@...>
          To:John Ascher <ascher@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:04/21/2012 05:11 PM
          Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] ID?
          Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

          At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

          I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

          John

          A gardener sent this photo, taken in Maryland.  Know what it is?  Looks like it has some spider web or something like that on a wing.

          Emacs!

        • david almquist
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
            Introduced why?

            To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: ascher@...
            Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
              Anothophora plumipes was introduced in the 1980s as a possible agricultural pollinator to Beltsville, Maryland about 1 mile from my lab.   They nest in clay banks in the wild and can be made to nest in adobe or clay blocks which could be transported to fields or simply built in place.    I am not sure that any work has been done with the species in terms of its agricultural pollination potential here in North America, likely due to the fact that it is only recently that their populations have become substantial.  Suzanne Batra retired almost 10 years ago now.

              It is interesting to note that the native Antophora abrupta also nests in the same situations but only comes out in this region in late May while A. plumipes comes out from late March to early April.

              While there has been a lot of work in creating nesting sites for hole nesting bees that occupy drilled holes or the internodes of grasses, nothing to almost nothing (I am hedging my bets here) has been done with clay nesting species in North America.  However, one only has to visit the few traditional adobe structures remaining or the newer strawbale/cob structures that have been plastered with adobe to see that we have a  suite of clay nesting species that can aggregate in large numbers and are therefore amenable to manipulation and even transport to crop fields.

              While potentially useful in that they aggregate and can occupy man-made structures, a bigger question would be to investigate what crops they would be most useful for in pollinating.  I have seen A. plumipes on a variety of blooming woody plants regionally, but have little understanding of where A. abrupta goes to get pollen (other than the prickly pear plants on my property).

              A. plumipes habit of coming out very early in the spring, ability to nest in transportable blocks, and what appears to be its general nature to gather pollen from woody plants make it a candidate for Almond pollination.   On the dark side is the fact that it is a non-native species and its downstream impacts to our native fauna and flora have not be evaluated...though, the opportunity is there since it is rapidly increasing and could be investigated as it invades from its Maryland epicenter.

              Below are collection dates from our database for A. plumipes
              20030402
              20030327
              20040415
              20050509
              20050415
              20050425
              20050509
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050411
              20050425
              20050425
              20050425
              20050425
              20050418
              20050413
              20050413
              20050413
              20050425
              20050405
              20050329
              20060416
              20060416
              20060416
              20060421
              20070329
              20090327
              20090327
              20090327
              20090327
              20090405
              20090405
              20090417
              20090416
              20070524
              20100425
              20100425
              20100425
              20100425
              20110319
              20110418
              20110418
              20110418
              20110420
              20110420
              20110420
              20110420
              20110413
              20110330
              20110429
              20110429
              20110429
              20110410
              20110410
              20110410
              20110429
              20110429
              20110510
              20100422
              20110427

              Here are the dates for A. abrupta

              20060619
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20060602
              20070611
              20070607
              20080615
              20080616
              20080616
              20080616
              20080616
              20080616
              20090530
              20090628
              20090522
              20070607
              20100518
              20100601
              20100601
              20110527
              20110527
              20110603

              sam

              Sam Droege  sdroege@...

              Vernal Equinox

              Dusk. A muddy path above the river.
              Osoberries blooming. Cottonwoods budding.
              Pockets of warm air lingering under willows.
              Rank odors of algae and fish.

              Ground fog settles in the deer-browsed grass.
              Sickle moon and the fires pale stars.
              Spring peepers hush as I approach.
              begin singing again when I've passed by.

              - Charles Goodrichky

              From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
              To:<ascher@...>, <inouye@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
              Date:04/22/2012 12:33 AM

              To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              From: ascher@...
              Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

              I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

              John

              [attachment "30d1871a.jpg" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]

            • Leo Shapiro
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
                Now there's an excellent question, especially since this was not a century ago, before biologists knew any better!

                On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:33 AM, david almquist wrote:

                Introduced why?

                To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                From: ascher@...
                Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
                    John et al.:

                    Is it possible the bee in David's photo is Anthophora furcata? The
                    thoracic coloration of furcata, I noticed, matches the photo a bit
                    better, in having pale hairs at the front and back edges, and the
                    pale facial hairs wouldn't be visible from the angle in David's photo:

                    http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03.html

                    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6522038695_f8378965ce_z.jpg