RE: [beemonitoring] ID?

  • John Ascher
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012

      I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

      John

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
        John wrote:

        >I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic
        >species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

        All of the photos I've seen of A. plumipes suggests the females are
        entirely black; e.g.:

        http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo12821.htm

        If the one in David's photo is also plumipes, then that's fairly
        pronounced variation. I would assume, if so, that this has been
        investigated and shown to be some simple Mendelian trait?

      • David Inouye
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
          Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012

            Indeed it is A. plumipes...and they are not  black like many of the European/British individuals.  Their point of origin was Japan where they are lighter and were initially called A. pilipes.   Likely they should be split back to their original names.  This species is now quite common in the D.C. area and populations are growing rapidly.  At my house they have managed to build numerous nests in the mud walls of my house.,

            Note that there are no records for Philadelphia or Baltimore yet!

            sam

            Sam Droege  sdroege@...

            The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
              -Japanese Proverb

            From:David Inouye <inouye@...>
            To:John Ascher <ascher@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date:04/21/2012 05:11 PM
            Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] ID?
            Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

            At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

            I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

            John

            A gardener sent this photo, taken in Maryland.  Know what it is?  Looks like it has some spider web or something like that on a wing.

            Emacs!

          • david almquist
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2012
              Introduced why?

              To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              From: ascher@...
              Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
                Anothophora plumipes was introduced in the 1980s as a possible agricultural pollinator to Beltsville, Maryland about 1 mile from my lab.   They nest in clay banks in the wild and can be made to nest in adobe or clay blocks which could be transported to fields or simply built in place.    I am not sure that any work has been done with the species in terms of its agricultural pollination potential here in North America, likely due to the fact that it is only recently that their populations have become substantial.  Suzanne Batra retired almost 10 years ago now.

                It is interesting to note that the native Antophora abrupta also nests in the same situations but only comes out in this region in late May while A. plumipes comes out from late March to early April.

                While there has been a lot of work in creating nesting sites for hole nesting bees that occupy drilled holes or the internodes of grasses, nothing to almost nothing (I am hedging my bets here) has been done with clay nesting species in North America.  However, one only has to visit the few traditional adobe structures remaining or the newer strawbale/cob structures that have been plastered with adobe to see that we have a  suite of clay nesting species that can aggregate in large numbers and are therefore amenable to manipulation and even transport to crop fields.

                While potentially useful in that they aggregate and can occupy man-made structures, a bigger question would be to investigate what crops they would be most useful for in pollinating.  I have seen A. plumipes on a variety of blooming woody plants regionally, but have little understanding of where A. abrupta goes to get pollen (other than the prickly pear plants on my property).

                A. plumipes habit of coming out very early in the spring, ability to nest in transportable blocks, and what appears to be its general nature to gather pollen from woody plants make it a candidate for Almond pollination.   On the dark side is the fact that it is a non-native species and its downstream impacts to our native fauna and flora have not be evaluated...though, the opportunity is there since it is rapidly increasing and could be investigated as it invades from its Maryland epicenter.

                Below are collection dates from our database for A. plumipes
                20030402
                20030327
                20040415
                20050509
                20050415
                20050425
                20050509
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050411
                20050425
                20050425
                20050425
                20050425
                20050418
                20050413
                20050413
                20050413
                20050425
                20050405
                20050329
                20060416
                20060416
                20060416
                20060421
                20070329
                20090327
                20090327
                20090327
                20090327
                20090405
                20090405
                20090417
                20090416
                20070524
                20100425
                20100425
                20100425
                20100425
                20110319
                20110418
                20110418
                20110418
                20110420
                20110420
                20110420
                20110420
                20110413
                20110330
                20110429
                20110429
                20110429
                20110410
                20110410
                20110410
                20110429
                20110429
                20110510
                20100422
                20110427

                Here are the dates for A. abrupta

                20060619
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20060602
                20070611
                20070607
                20080615
                20080616
                20080616
                20080616
                20080616
                20080616
                20090530
                20090628
                20090522
                20070607
                20100518
                20100601
                20100601
                20110527
                20110527
                20110603

                sam

                Sam Droege  sdroege@...

                Vernal Equinox

                Dusk. A muddy path above the river.
                Osoberries blooming. Cottonwoods budding.
                Pockets of warm air lingering under willows.
                Rank odors of algae and fish.

                Ground fog settles in the deer-browsed grass.
                Sickle moon and the fires pale stars.
                Spring peepers hush as I approach.
                begin singing again when I've passed by.

                - Charles Goodrichky

                From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
                To:<ascher@...>, <inouye@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
                Date:04/22/2012 12:33 AM

                To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                From: ascher@...
                Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

                John

                [attachment "30d1871a.jpg" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]

              • Leo Shapiro
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2012
                  Now there's an excellent question, especially since this was not a century ago, before biologists knew any better!

                  On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:33 AM, david almquist wrote:

                  Introduced why?

                  To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  From: ascher@...
                  Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
                      John et al.:

                      Is it possible the bee in David's photo is Anthophora furcata? The
                      thoracic coloration of furcata, I noticed, matches the photo a bit
                      better, in having pale hairs at the front and back edges, and the
                      pale facial hairs wouldn't be visible from the angle in David's photo:

                      http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03.html

                      http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6522038695_f8378965ce_z.jpg