ID?

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21 12:00 PM
      A gardener sent this photo, taken in Maryland.  Know what it is?  Looks like it has some spider web or something like that on a wing.

      Emacs!
    • John Ascher
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21 1:05 PM

        I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21 2:00 PM
          John wrote:

          >I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic
          >species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

          All of the photos I've seen of A. plumipes suggests the females are
          entirely black; e.g.:

          http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo12821.htm

          If the one in David's photo is also plumipes, then that's fairly
          pronounced variation. I would assume, if so, that this has been
          investigated and shown to be some simple Mendelian trait?

        • David Inouye
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21 2:11 PM
            Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21 7:06 PM

              Indeed it is A. plumipes...and they are not  black like many of the European/British individuals.  Their point of origin was Japan where they are lighter and were initially called A. pilipes.   Likely they should be split back to their original names.  This species is now quite common in the D.C. area and populations are growing rapidly.  At my house they have managed to build numerous nests in the mud walls of my house.,

              Note that there are no records for Philadelphia or Baltimore yet!

              sam

              Sam Droege  sdroege@...

              The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
                -Japanese Proverb

              From:David Inouye <inouye@...>
              To:John Ascher <ascher@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
              Date:04/21/2012 05:11 PM
              Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] ID?
              Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              Thanks John (and Doug).  For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that females can be black or brown.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthophora_plumipes

              At 04:05 PM 4/21/2012, John Ascher wrote:

              I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

              John

              A gardener sent this photo, taken in Maryland.  Know what it is?  Looks like it has some spider web or something like that on a wing.

              Emacs!

            • david almquist
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21 9:33 PM
                Introduced why?

                To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                From: ascher@...
                Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22 8:19 AM
                  Anothophora plumipes was introduced in the 1980s as a possible agricultural pollinator to Beltsville, Maryland about 1 mile from my lab.   They nest in clay banks in the wild and can be made to nest in adobe or clay blocks which could be transported to fields or simply built in place.    I am not sure that any work has been done with the species in terms of its agricultural pollination potential here in North America, likely due to the fact that it is only recently that their populations have become substantial.  Suzanne Batra retired almost 10 years ago now.

                  It is interesting to note that the native Antophora abrupta also nests in the same situations but only comes out in this region in late May while A. plumipes comes out from late March to early April.

                  While there has been a lot of work in creating nesting sites for hole nesting bees that occupy drilled holes or the internodes of grasses, nothing to almost nothing (I am hedging my bets here) has been done with clay nesting species in North America.  However, one only has to visit the few traditional adobe structures remaining or the newer strawbale/cob structures that have been plastered with adobe to see that we have a  suite of clay nesting species that can aggregate in large numbers and are therefore amenable to manipulation and even transport to crop fields.

                  While potentially useful in that they aggregate and can occupy man-made structures, a bigger question would be to investigate what crops they would be most useful for in pollinating.  I have seen A. plumipes on a variety of blooming woody plants regionally, but have little understanding of where A. abrupta goes to get pollen (other than the prickly pear plants on my property).

                  A. plumipes habit of coming out very early in the spring, ability to nest in transportable blocks, and what appears to be its general nature to gather pollen from woody plants make it a candidate for Almond pollination.   On the dark side is the fact that it is a non-native species and its downstream impacts to our native fauna and flora have not be evaluated...though, the opportunity is there since it is rapidly increasing and could be investigated as it invades from its Maryland epicenter.

                  Below are collection dates from our database for A. plumipes
                  20030402
                  20030327
                  20040415
                  20050509
                  20050415
                  20050425
                  20050509
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050411
                  20050425
                  20050425
                  20050425
                  20050425
                  20050418
                  20050413
                  20050413
                  20050413
                  20050425
                  20050405
                  20050329
                  20060416
                  20060416
                  20060416
                  20060421
                  20070329
                  20090327
                  20090327
                  20090327
                  20090327
                  20090405
                  20090405
                  20090417
                  20090416
                  20070524
                  20100425
                  20100425
                  20100425
                  20100425
                  20110319
                  20110418
                  20110418
                  20110418
                  20110420
                  20110420
                  20110420
                  20110420
                  20110413
                  20110330
                  20110429
                  20110429
                  20110429
                  20110410
                  20110410
                  20110410
                  20110429
                  20110429
                  20110510
                  20100422
                  20110427

                  Here are the dates for A. abrupta

                  20060619
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20060602
                  20070611
                  20070607
                  20080615
                  20080616
                  20080616
                  20080616
                  20080616
                  20080616
                  20090530
                  20090628
                  20090522
                  20070607
                  20100518
                  20100601
                  20100601
                  20110527
                  20110527
                  20110603

                  sam

                  Sam Droege  sdroege@...

                  Vernal Equinox

                  Dusk. A muddy path above the river.
                  Osoberries blooming. Cottonwoods budding.
                  Pockets of warm air lingering under willows.
                  Rank odors of algae and fish.

                  Ground fog settles in the deer-browsed grass.
                  Sickle moon and the fires pale stars.
                  Spring peepers hush as I approach.
                  begin singing again when I've passed by.

                  - Charles Goodrichky

                  From:david almquist <daidunno@...>
                  To:<ascher@...>, <inouye@...>, <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date:04/22/2012 12:33 AM

                  To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  From: ascher@...
                  Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                  I think it's an Anthophora plumipes female, one of the exotic species introduced by Suzanne Batra et al. of the USDA.

                  John

                  [attachment "30d1871a.jpg" deleted by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI]

                • Leo Shapiro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22 8:44 AM
                    Now there's an excellent question, especially since this was not a century ago, before biologists knew any better!

                    On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:33 AM, david almquist wrote:

                    Introduced why?

                    To: inouye@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ascher@...
                    Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:05:06 +0000

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23 5:30 PM
                        John et al.:

                        Is it possible the bee in David's photo is Anthophora furcata? The
                        thoracic coloration of furcata, I noticed, matches the photo a bit
                        better, in having pale hairs at the front and back edges, and the
                        pale facial hairs wouldn't be visible from the angle in David's photo:

                        http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03.html

                        http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6522038695_f8378965ce_z.jpg