Atlas of northeastern Nearctic Vespidae

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2008
      Sam Droege encouraged me to post this announcement here even though it
      does not deal with bees. I hope it will be useful to bee workers
      interested in other aculeate groups as well:

      It is my pleasure to announce that the "Identification Atlas of the
      Vespidae (Hymenoptera, Aculeata) of the northeastern Nearctic region"
      has recently been published in issue 5 of the Canadian Journal of
      Arthropod Identification (a peer reviewed, open access electronic
      journal published by the Biological Survey of Canada). The Atlas is
      available in both HTML and PDF format (which can be accessed through the
      journal's website:
      http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/ejournal.html).

      This new identification tool covers the entire northeastern fauna (92
      spp.) south to Virginia and west to the Ontario-Manitoba border,
      Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Kentucky. It includes 13 keys from
      the subfamily to the species level and is fully illustrated with over
      1000 high resolution colour photographs (diagnostic characters as well
      as standard aspects of every species incl. male/female head,
      dorsal/lateral habitus) including nearly 100 images of live specimens.

      The Atlas provides the first published keys to certain speciose genera
      (e.g., Euodynerus, Stenodynerus) and sheds new light into problematic
      groups such as Polistes, Ancistrocerus and Euodynerus, leading to
      several taxonomic changes and the recognition of six new unnamed species
      (formal species descriptions to be published subsequently in print
      journals).

      My apologies for any cross-postings.

      Dr Matthias Buck, Curator
      Insect Collection