Re: [beemonitoring] nectar robbing /pollinating

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
      I think it's Waser 1979:  http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/4215803.pdf?acceptTC=true

      Waser, N. M. (1979). "Pollinator availability as a determinant of flowering time in Ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens)." Oecologia 39(1): 107-121.
               Ocotillo, a perennial shrub of Sonoran and Chihuahuan Deserts, produces its red tubular flowers in spring. This timing coincides with northward migration of hummingbirds through desert areas. Observations of visitors, pollen collections, and seed set reductions following exclusion of different flower visitors indicate that both hummingbirds and solitary bees pollinate ocotillo in southern Arizona. Seed sets of flowers on marked plants varied considerably within and between years, and this variation was related to the temporal match between flowering and hummingbird migration. This suggests that selection acts on plants to synchronize flowering with periods of pollinator abundance.

      "Several solitary bee species also visit ocotillo at my study sites. The most common is a large carpenter bee, Xylocopa californica, which lands astride the corolla and bites a large slit directly through its base over the nectaries. In the course of landing and positioning themselves these visitors brush exserted sexual parts of the flower with the underside of their bodies. Four females and three males collected at my study sites carried ocotillo pollen on the ventral surfaces of their thorax and abdomen. In addition, two of the females carried pollen loads in the hairy scopae of their hind legs. Transport of ocotillo pollen by nectar-robbing carpenter bees is also reported from the Chihuahuan Desert by Hendrickson (1972). "

      At 03:13 PM 4/10/2012, Jack Neff wrote:

      Waser (1974) mentioned the same phenomenon with Xylocopa californica robbing ocotillo flowers (Oecologia 39: 107-121).  Nothing really odd here since pollination by bees is always inadvertent.

      best

      Jack