nectar robbing /pollinating

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 11:08 AM

      All,

      While gardening last weekend I saw a Xylocopa carpenter bee on Vinca. It oriented its head at the outside bottom of the corolla for a few seconds, and I assume it was nectar robbing by biting through the corolla, but I noticed that due to its size, its abdomen was inside the corolla. It oriented itself at two more flowers in the same manner and as it left the third, I noticed that there was pollen beneath its abdomen. (Darn; no camera!)

      Is there anything in the literature about carpenter bees simultaneously nectar robbing and pollinating?

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

      Department of Biological Sciences

      Hampton University

      Hampton, VA  23668

      757-727-5283

      barbara.abraham@...

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10 11:36 AM
        There are a few references in the literature, mostly related to Corydalis, of "robber-like pollinators", bumble bees that rob but also serve as pollinators. E.g.,

        Higashi, S., M. Ohara, et al. (1988). "Robber-like pollinators: overwintered queen bumblebees foraging on Corydalis ambigua." Ecological Entomology 13: 411-418.
                 1  The behaviour of nectar-collecting Bombus hypocrita sapporensis Cockerell queens was observed on a population of a spring ephemeral plant Corydalis ambigua Cham, et Schlecht.
        2  Daily patterns of activity and behaviour changed with the progress of flowering. Activity peaked shortly before sunset early in the flowering season but approximately at noon towards the end of flowering. In the peak flowering period the queens tended to visit nearby plants and to change direction often, whereas early or late in the flowering period they flew further between visits and were less likely to change direction.
        3  Each plant was visited 0 to 24 times (mean 9.4 5.2) by the queens during the whole flowering season.
        4  The queens collected nectar, rarely through the front of the flowers but mostly through the spurs perforated by themselves or predecessors. At the beginning of the flowering season the illegitimate foragers often visited the front of the flowers before moving to the spurs; later, most queens quickly learned to land directly on the spurs.
        5  Even the 59.7% of plants that were visited only by illegitimate foragers set seeds. Close observation confirmed that the illegitimate foragers opened the inner petals enclosing anthers and stigma frequently when visiting the front of the flowers before robbing, or occasionally when walking about on the flowers or collecting nectar through the perforated spurs.

        Kudo, G. and T. Kasagi (2004). "Floral sex allocation in Corydalis ambigua populations visited by different pollinators." Ecoscience 11(2): 218-227.
                 We studied variations in reproductive success, pollinator behaviour, and intra-inflorescence sex allocation of Corydalis ambigua between populations having different pollinator types. This species is self-incompatible and predominantly pollinated by bumblebees. Bombus hypocrita subsp. sapporoensis was a dominant flower visitor in lowland populations. It behaved as a nectar robber but contributed as a pollinator. A legitimate pollinator, Bombus hypnorum subsp. koropokkrus, was common in mountainous areas. Seed production in lowland populations was intensively restricted by pollen limitation caused by low pollination efficiency of robber-like pollinators, whereas the extent of pollen limitation was small in mountain populations. Seed-set success under natural pollination significantly decreased in upper flowers within inflorescences in every population. Pistil mass, ovule number, and corolla mass decreased from bottom to top flowers in every population, corresponding to the seed-set pattern. Stamen mass and pollen number were almost identical among flower positions in lowland populations, whereas they increased from bottom to top flowers in mountain populations. Legitimate pollinators showed larger pollen removal per visit and tended to visit more flowers during a single stay than robber-like pollinators, resulting in more geitonogamous pollen flow (i.e., self pollination between flowers). When geitonogamy is intense, higher allocation to male function in upper flowers should increase donation success because bumblebees tend to leave an inflorescence from upper flowers. These results suggest that pollinator behaviour is a strong selective force causing variations in the sex allocation of plants.

        David Inouye

        At 02:08 PM 4/10/2012, you wrote:

[...]

      • Jack Neff
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10 12:13 PM
          Waser (1974) mentioned the same phenomenon with Xylocopa californica robbing ocotillo flowers (Oecologia 39: 107-121).  Nothing really odd here since pollination by bees is always inadvertent.

          best

          Jack

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10 12:51 PM
            I think it's Waser 1979:  http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/4215803.pdf?acceptTC=true

            Waser, N. M. (1979). "Pollinator availability as a determinant of flowering time in Ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens)." Oecologia 39(1): 107-121.
                     Ocotillo, a perennial shrub of Sonoran and Chihuahuan Deserts, produces its red tubular flowers in spring. This timing coincides with northward migration of hummingbirds through desert areas. Observations of visitors, pollen collections, and seed set reductions following exclusion of different flower visitors indicate that both hummingbirds and solitary bees pollinate ocotillo in southern Arizona. Seed sets of flowers on marked plants varied considerably within and between years, and this variation was related to the temporal match between flowering and hummingbird migration. This suggests that selection acts on plants to synchronize flowering with periods of pollinator abundance.

            "Several solitary bee species also visit ocotillo at my study sites. The most common is a large carpenter bee, Xylocopa californica, which lands astride the corolla and bites a large slit directly through its base over the nectaries. In the course of landing and positioning themselves these visitors brush exserted sexual parts of the flower with the underside of their bodies. Four females and three males collected at my study sites carried ocotillo pollen on the ventral surfaces of their thorax and abdomen. In addition, two of the females carried pollen loads in the hairy scopae of their hind legs. Transport of ocotillo pollen by nectar-robbing carpenter bees is also reported from the Chihuahuan Desert by Hendrickson (1972). "