Hylaeus affinis vs. H. modestus

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2006

      Rebekah Nelson and I have been working on ways to tell female Hylaeus affinis from H. modestus.  In most areas they make up the bulk of the Hylaeus catch and Mitchell's key has always been confusing.  See if the information below is useful and let us know of any changes you feel need to be made.

      Thanks

      sam

      H. affinis vs H. modestus - Tricky and often confused pair - Combination of characters

      H. affinis - Tegula with clear yellow patch AND the slightly smaller tegula-like structure usually partially hidden under the tegula with a yellow stripe along its edge - Several to many pits on the mesepisturnum touching - Secondary and more subjective characteristics include the surface of the mesepisturnum being slightly rougher and the pits a bit more difficult to detect, the yellow on the pronotal lobe running to the pointed end by the collar, and the yellow paraocular marks on the head having their margin nearest the antennae being relatively straight

      H. modestus - Tegula and the structure below it with no yellow patches- No to a very few pits on the mesepisturnum touching - Secondary and more subjective characteristics include the surface of the mesepisturnum being comparatively smoother, even though still heavily lined and tessilated, and the pits very clear, the yellow on the pronotal lobe not running to the pointed end by the collar but being retracted slightly back, and the yellow paraocular marks on the head having their margin nearest the antennae not straight but having a projecting angle somewhere about the level of the top of the base of the antennae, note that in both species the marks in the paraocular area often are truncated to only the height of the antennal bases not beyond

      Unknown - Could be either - Combination of the two species characters, often this can include the presence of absence of a tegula yellow mark when other characters are contraindicative. Usually there are several specimens in any series that cannot be safely ascribed.

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Magellanic Penguin

      Neither clown nor child nor black
      nor white but verticle