Degree Day Pollinator Sampling

  • m_lettow
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm working on a research project where I have several sampling dates throughout the summer where I use a combination of bee bowls and observation to capture bee fauna in restoration treatments. Last year I started in early June, and sampled 6 times (warmest 24 hr period, every two weeks) throughout the summer. With the unusually warm winter and spring this year, I feel that if I use the same approximate sampling dates from last year, and compare catch from the same date between years, I will be comparing apples to oranges due to the likely earlier emergence of many bees and other pollinators. Using accumulated degree days seems to be a fairly standard technique in entomology, however these models are usually used for pest management and/or with a well studied species where a "threshold" temperature is known, and the number of degree days accumulated above that temperature are used to predict emergence. Since native pollinators are a diverse group of a wide range of insect taxa representing many species, determining a threshold temperature, or degree day model to use to standardize sampling seems unclear to me at this point. Of course I'm searching the literature but haven't turned up a whole lot yet.

      Does anyone use degree day models to standardize their sampling dates for pollinators, or know of any relevant literature that may be useful?

      Sincerely,

      Mitch Lettow
    • Eugene J. Scarpulla
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2012

        Would anyone have a need for a series of 203 Xylocopa virginica specimens (123 female, 80 male), all collected from the same site?

        10-26 MAY 2011

        Millers Island, Baltimore County, Maryland

        Latitude: 39.2289

        Longitude: -76.4024

        Elevation: ~2 meters (~90 meters from Chesapeake Bay)

        Netted opportunistically; dispatched in Ultra Dawn/water solution

        Specimens were washed, dried, pinned, labeled, and entered into the Discover Life database.

        Please contact me if you are interested.  Thanks.

        Gene

        Gene Scarpulla

        Editor, The Maryland Entomologist & the Phaëton

        Bowie, Maryland

        ejscarp@...