radish seeds

  • Kimberly Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2012
      Hello All!

      I wrote to the group last year about finding model plant species to attract bee visitors and compare pollination efficiency in different environments (using potted plants). I ended up doing a small trial with fast plants (Brassica rapa), dwarf sunflowers and radishes. Fast plants won for speed and convenience so I used them in a small field study last fall. [Radishes were actually the most popular with the bees, but I did not have a large sample size and the plants were somewhat tall and unwieldy. The sunflowers were very unpopular for some reason and had very low visitation]. Unfortunately, the fastplants did not do well in the field (not very hardy and difficult to transport), but more significantly, we had very low visitation, even on days when bees were abundant.

      I am going to try again in May (maybe the spring fauna will be more excited about fastplants!), but am going to try to include radishes on a bigger scale this time. For my prelim trial, I just bought radish seeds at a local shop (Cherry Belle). They were OK, but grew very tall and had relatively low flower counts (the radishes were HUGE, though :-)).

      Can anyone suggest a particular variety of radish that would be easy to get and grow for such a study? Are there dwarf radishes? I am not a gardener, so have little experience with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Kim
      Dr. Kimberly N. Russell

      Research Scientist