RE: [beemonitoring] Re: [Pollinator] FW: access to the listserve; honey bees on conservation land

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012

      Hi Don and group:

      Anne Averill and her students at the University of Massachusetts has been working on this question – spillover of pathogens from managed bees (she works on commercial bumble bees as well as honey bees) to wild Bombus species.

      Here is an extension article about their findings:

      http://www.extension.org/pages/30998/wild-bee-status-and-evidence-for-pathogen-spillover-with-honey-bees

      Kim Stoner

      From: bernhap2@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:37:02 -0500

      Dear Dan:

      No one is trying to demonize anyone.  Obviously, protection of pollinator and pollinator-services works only if beekeepers, scientists, local naturalists (who are often amateur beekeepers) and federal/state employees work together.  The fact remains, though, that some beekeepers are living in la-la land based on recent, shared communications.  Here are the facts.

      1) Honeybees are not native to the flora of the western hemisphere.

      2) Nectar and pollen is a limited resource consumed both by honeybees and native animals with anthophilous foraging habits.

      3) Commercial bee keepers introduce hives by the hundreds into agricultural areas (fine with me) but that doesn't mean that honeybees always prefer the nectar and pollen they obtain from domesticated crops when they have the choice of flowering plants found in natural areas adjacent to cultivated fields.

      4)  Some beekeepers find this final point the hardest point to understand.  The presence of any animal on a flower doesn't mean that flower has a true pollinator.  Animal-mediated cross-pollination is a "balanced act."  Honeybees DON'T pollinate every native flower they visit even though they may exit the flower with nectar and pollen from that flower.  I have nearly 30 years of publications on who does and who doesn't pollinate based on fieldwork in North America, Australia, New Caledonia and Israel.  Sometimes the honeybee is a dependable pollinator and sometimes it ain't but it is almost always a dependable remover of nectar and pollen.  That's o.k. with me.  My darling, Xylocopa  (males and females) are good, native, North American citizens and they certainly don't pollinate everything they visit either but they are virtually the ONLY pollinators of one of the native milkweeds I've studied the last two years.  The fact remains that you won't see hundreds of thousands of Xylocopas in a conservation area punching holes in the flowers but you can certainly see hundreds and thousands of honeybees in the same site if commercial apiarists are permitted to bring in their hives within a certain radius.

      I love honey, beeswax candles and consume enhtusiastically every fruit and vegetable pollinated by honeybees (especially those yummy Californian almonds).  However, I also love to eat pork sausage, beefsteaks, fired chicken and roast duck (Chinese way is best) in the clear knowledge that these animals were not permitted to forage in reserved, conservation areas during their life times. If dear little Miss Apis and her many sisters are permitted to do what is sweet and natural in a conservation area doesn't that mean that Bossie the cow, Donald duck and the three little pigs must be allowed the same access?

      Peter

      On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Sunny Boyd <sun@...> wrote:

      From Daniel Weaver.