Re: [beemonitoring] Dane, Co Wisconsin sampling?

  • Kimberly Russell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
      Thanks, Sam.

      Although, remember my catches are for three days, so that would be (not-quite) divided by 3 (ignoring depletion), which makes it more like 0.4/bowl. And that was two sampling bouts, separated by over a month with the same yield. Just comparatively with our other catches, which actually were closer to 3/bowl (corrected to 1/bowl-ish) in July and August in Maryland at similar sites in the same year. Anyway, I may send a student up to Wisconsin in May or early June to see how things are at these sites then.

      It will be interesting to see a database of bees/bowl -- I imagine the number of bowls per unit area (and total over which the average is calculated), number of consecutive days bowls are out, the habitat type (and size of patch), time of year, weather conditions, etc. could all be relevant factors and should be recorded along with the # of bees caught per bowl. One interesting tidbit that I am seeing with my cross-continental surveys is that the average catch per bowl appears to be more related to the region than to the month of collection. That said, I have mostly only two months to compare in each location.

      Kim