Re: [beemonitoring] Dane, Co Wisconsin sampling?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
      Kim

      It is interesting to see how captures can vary.  In the Badlands we average > 5 bees per bowl in many situations...sometimes >>5.   However, it is not at all unexpected to get <<1 bee per bowl in the Mid-Atlantic area in mid summer and into Fall.   So I think >1 bee / bowl during that time in the East is reasonable.

      At some point during the coming year we will be putting out a standardized database of clean verified bowl surveys that people can access to address questions like this.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      California Hills in August

      I can imagine someone who found
      these fields unbearable, who climbed
      the hillside in the heat, cursing the dust,
      cracking the brittle weeds underfoot,
      wishing a few more trees for shade.

      An Easterner especially, who would scorn
      the meagreness of summer, the dry
      twisted shapes of black elm,
      scrub oak, and chaparral - a landscape
      August has already drained of green.

      One who would hurry over the clinging
      thistle, foxtail, golden poppy,
      knowing everything was just a weed,
      unable to conceive that these trees
      and sparse brown bushes were alive.

      And hate the bright stillness of the noon,
      without wind, without motion,
      the only other living thing
      a hawk, hungry for prey, suspended
      in the blinding, sunlit blue.

      And yet how gentle it seems to someone
      raised in a a landscape short of rain -
      the skyline of a hill broken by no more
      trees than one can count, the grass,
      the empty sky, the wish for water.

             - Dana Gioia

      From:"Hendrix, Stephen D" <stephen-hendrix@...>
      To:Kimberly Russell <krussell@...>
      Cc:"beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:03/08/2012 02:05 PM
      Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] Dane, Co Wisconsin sampling?
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      In Iowa prairies pan catches decline dramatically from May to Aug. we think our bowls cannot compete with all the forbs in bloom and by August our catch per bowl is like yours.

      Steve Hendrix
      Sent from my iPhone
      On Mar 8, 2012, at 10:17 AM, "Kimberly Russell" <krussell@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      I am looking for some advice/data/perspective from others who have sampled in the Dane County Wisconson area (outside of Madison). I did some collecting up there last summer as part of my powerline ROW work to get some baseline data before they modify their veg management under the lines. I had to decide well in advance when to sample in order to buy plane tickets and be able to hit all my other sites across the country. We decided on late July since we were sampling in open/prairie-like habitats. But our yields were very low. With some help, we repeated the survey again in mid-September. Still, very low yields. It could be that there just aren't a lot of bees there (lots of agriculture, development & suburban housing) OR it could be that we had the timing wrong. Weather was pretty consistent mix of sun and clouds.

      I roughly worked up the data and we had 1.2 bees/bowl total over 3 consecutive days. As a point of comparison, our data from Oregon yielded 5 to 7 bees/bowl (also over 3 days) and Maryland 2 to 3 bees/bowl. This is averaged over many sites and many bowls, so is not the most accurate comparison, but WI definitely was comparatively lower and was less evenly distributed among sites.

      From those who have collected in the area, what were your yields like? What time of year do you sample in open habitats (~3 years post-mow)?

      Just trying to figure out if a time-shift is worth starting over. As it stands, I'm not sure how I will do statistically...

      Thanks!
      Kim
      Dr. Kimberly N. Russell

      Research Scientist
      Department of Biology
      New Jersey Institute of Technology

      and

      Division of Invertebrate Zoology
      American Museum of Natural History

      phone: 1-973-642-7976
      fax: 1-973-596-5689
      E-mail:
      krussell@...
      Web:
      http://web.njit.edu/~krussell & http://research.amnh.org/invertzoo/spida

    • Kimberly Russell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
        Thanks, Sam.

        Although, remember my catches are for three days, so that would be (not-quite) divided by 3 (ignoring depletion), which makes it more like 0.4/bowl. And that was two sampling bouts, separated by over a month with the same yield. Just comparatively with our other catches, which actually were closer to 3/bowl (corrected to 1/bowl-ish) in July and August in Maryland at similar sites in the same year. Anyway, I may send a student up to Wisconsin in May or early June to see how things are at these sites then.

        It will be interesting to see a database of bees/bowl -- I imagine the number of bowls per unit area (and total over which the average is calculated), number of consecutive days bowls are out, the habitat type (and size of patch), time of year, weather conditions, etc. could all be relevant factors and should be recorded along with the # of bees caught per bowl. One interesting tidbit that I am seeing with my cross-continental surveys is that the average catch per bowl appears to be more related to the region than to the month of collection. That said, I have mostly only two months to compare in each location.

        Kim