Monkey beetles love shiny spots on flowers

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2012

      Dear Colleagues:

      This beautiful article was sent to me this morning by Dr. Peter Goldblatt
      of the Missouri Botanical Garden.  It appeared in an issue of  Curtis's
      Botanical Magazine that was devoted to flowers with iridescent spots.  In
      southern Africa, flowers wearing iridescent spots are most likely
      pollinated by monkey beetles (hopliine scarab beetles).  Most monkey
      beetles live in southern Africa and there are over 80 species.  Can anyone
      think of species with iridiscent flower spots in North America, China,
      Israel or Australia?

      Peter