RE: [beemonitoring] Catching insects with beer

  • Greenstone, Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

      The good thing about rum is that it’s high enough proof to substitute for lab ethanol when you run out of it in an out of the way place, so it’s a triple-purpose reagent..

      Matt

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
        Peach schnapps works well with fruit too!

        Rob

        To: sdroege@...
        CC: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com; dominicev@...

        From:Dominic Evangelista <dominicev@...>
        To:sdroege@...
        Date:02/27/2012 12:57 PM
        Subject:Catching insects with beer

        --

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

          When someone successfully fills a requisition with their agency for enough beer, schnapps or rum to do a full seasons bee inventory, let me know how you did it.  My supervisor will just laugh at me.

          Dave
        • Laurence Packer
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
            Back in the middle ages when I was a graduate student, folks working in a nearby
            lab were studying what attracts blackflies to humans.  They had some scents that they
            wished to test as attractants and wanted to cover the vials with something with a
            consistency similar to human skin.  Every week they would drive to the nearest
            pharmacy (they were working in a moderately remote location) and ask for a gross
            of condoms, for which they requested a receipt.

            best wishes

            laurence