Re: [beemonitoring] Catching insects with beer

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

      OK in order to standardize our surveys, which brand or type of beer is everyone going to use?  Dark, NA, IPA, Coors Light (nah, even bees have better taste than that) etc.  We all use the same blue Dawn dish soap right?

      Dave

    • Greenstone, Matt
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

        The good thing about rum is that it’s high enough proof to substitute for lab ethanol when you run out of it in an out of the way place, so it’s a triple-purpose reagent..

        Matt

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
          Peach schnapps works well with fruit too!

          Rob

          To: sdroege@...
          CC: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com; dominicev@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

            When someone successfully fills a requisition with their agency for enough beer, schnapps or rum to do a full seasons bee inventory, let me know how you did it.  My supervisor will just laugh at me.

            Dave
          • Laurence Packer
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
              Back in the middle ages when I was a graduate student, folks working in a nearby
              lab were studying what attracts blackflies to humans.  They had some scents that they
              wished to test as attractants and wanted to cover the vials with something with a
              consistency similar to human skin.  Every week they would drive to the nearest
              pharmacy (they were working in a moderately remote location) and ask for a gross
              of condoms, for which they requested a receipt.

              best wishes

              laurence