Catching insects with beer

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012

      I received the note below from one of our roach researcher colleagues.

      Feel free to contact Dominic for more details.

      sam

      ----- Forwarded by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI on 02/29/2012 08:36 AM -----
      From:Dominic Evangelista <dominicev@...>
      To:sdroege@...
      Date:02/27/2012 12:57 PM
      Subject:Catching insects with beer

      Hi Mr. Droege,

      One of my fellow graduate students forwarded me your recent email about adding beer to traps for bees. I actually use beer pitfall traps to collect cockroaches in the tropics. If any of your contacts are collecting cockroaches I would be very interesting in having the bycatch. I have noticed that most people don't identify their cockroaches in ecological studies (probably because there is no good key for roaches). I am developing a key so I may be able to identify these specimens to genus if anyone is interested. I don't know what else I could offer but I am willing to take requests! Thanks!

      --
      Dominic Evangelista
      Rutgers University - Newark

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      Poema del City

      I live in the city.
      It's a tough life,
      often unpleasant, sometimes
      downright awful. But it has what
      we call its compensations.

      To kill a roach, for example,
      is to my mind not pleasant
      but it does develop one's reflexes.
      Wham!
      and that's that.
      Sometimes, though, the battered roach
      will haul itself onto broken legs and,
      wildly waving its bent antennae,
      stagger off into the darkness

      to warn the others, who live in the shadow
      of the great waterfall in their little teepees.
      Behind them rise the gleaming brown and blue mass
      of the Grand Tetons, topped with white snow
      that blushes, come dawn, and glows, come dusk.
      Silent gray wisps rise from the smouldering campfires.

           - Ron Padgett
    • Zak Gezon

        From:Dominic Evangelista <dominicev@...>
        To:sdroege@...
        Date:02/27/2012 12:57 PM

[...]

        PhD Candidate, Dartmouth College
        78 College St.
        Life Sciences Center
        Biological Sciences Dept.
        Hanover, NH  03755

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

          OK in order to standardize our surveys, which brand or type of beer is everyone going to use?  Dark, NA, IPA, Coors Light (nah, even bees have better taste than that) etc.  We all use the same blue Dawn dish soap right?

          Dave

        • Greenstone, Matt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

            The good thing about rum is that it’s high enough proof to substitute for lab ethanol when you run out of it in an out of the way place, so it’s a triple-purpose reagent..

            Matt

            I used to draw in butterflies in Costa Rica by mashing bananas and pouring in a little rum.  It is shockingly effective.  I haven't tried booze & bees . . .

            Zak

            On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

            All:

            I received the note below from one of our roach researcher colleagues.

            Feel free to contact Dominic for more details.

            sam

            ----- Forwarded by Sam Droege/BRD/USGS/DOI on 02/29/2012 08:36 AM -----

            Dominic Evangelista <dominicev@...>

            sdroege@...

            02/27/2012 12:57 PM

            Catching insects with beer

[...]

          • Rob Snyder
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
              Peach schnapps works well with fruit too!

              Rob

              To: sdroege@...
              CC: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com; dominicev@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012

                When someone successfully fills a requisition with their agency for enough beer, schnapps or rum to do a full seasons bee inventory, let me know how you did it.  My supervisor will just laugh at me.

                Dave
              • Laurence Packer
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Back in the middle ages when I was a graduate student, folks working in a nearby
                  lab were studying what attracts blackflies to humans.  They had some scents that they
                  wished to test as attractants and wanted to cover the vials with something with a
                  consistency similar to human skin.  Every week they would drive to the nearest
                  pharmacy (they were working in a moderately remote location) and ask for a gross
                  of condoms, for which they requested a receipt.

                  best wishes

                  laurence