MP3 Sounds files available for pronouncing North American Bee Genera

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2012
      All

      The English language leaves a lot to be desired in terms of both spelling and pronunciation.  It is certainly flexible and has plenty of capacity to adopt new words and create new ones at the drop of the hat, but it is also irritating in that there are only general rules rather than absolutes in regards to spelling and pronunciation.  This pattern unfortunately has carried over to the cultural pronunciation of the scientific names of bee genera.   Pronunciation varies between the U.S. and Canada and is often very different from European pronunciations.  Latin America (as far as I am aware) is very civilized using classic Latin pronunciations.

      To help those who must adapt to U.S. dialectical quirks, I have created a series of MP3 files that you can download at:

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/

      They come in 3 resolutions.

      High = 5mb
      Medium = 2mb
      Low = 1mb

      Low really does have rather poor quality, but does squeeze the file size down quite a bit.

      So now you can put them on your iPod and listen to them while you work!

      FYI
      I am in the process of creating webinars for bee identification and other aspects on working with bees and those will be presented on Slideshare, hopefully I will get at least one going by the end of the week.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...

      The Plover and the Clover can be told
           apart with ease,
      By paying close attention to the
           habits of the Bees,
      For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
           can be in clover,
      While ety-molo-gists concur, there
           is no B in Plover.
          -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover