Re: Dafni pollination techniques

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2012
    Dear Dr. Abraham:

    The basic technique is described in the attached paper and represents a version of the same protocol I've used in the majority of my insect-pollination papers since 1981 or 1982.  The technique was modified over three decades.  I NEVER wash the insect in ethanol anymore as entomologists complained it removed the insect's cuticle leaving a brittle, gray specimen.  We only use ethyl acetate now (see attached).  Yes, I know that ethyl acetate ruins insect DNA but you will have to make a choice as some point.

    The question is whether or not you have the recipe for Calberla's fluid?  It's available on the web if you Google the word's Calberla and pollen or read my chapter in Dafni's book....

    Bernhardt, P. 2005. Pollen transport and Transfer by Animal Pollinators. In, Practical Pollination Biology. Dafni, A., Kevan, P.G. & Husband, B.C. (editors). Pp. 371-380. Enviroquest Ltd. Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

    The "trick" of any good bottle of Calberla's fluid is in the aqueous basic fuchsin.  You must make up a super-saturated solution or slurry of the crystals with distilled/de-ionized water.  FIlter out the crystals and store the bottled solution in a dark cupboard, where it will keep indefinitely.  It should resemble cheap burgundy mixed with blood.  You only need a drop, or two, in the water-ethanol-glycerol solution to make lovely pink Calbera's fluid.  The final product should be a translucent pink as you would see in a stained-glass window with the sun shining through.

    Peter
    On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM, <BARBARA.ABRAHAM@...> wrote:

    Dr. Bernhardt,

    I can’t seem to locate the book you referred to in your recent post (Dafni’s pollination techniques). Would you kindly supply the reference, and if possible, an electronic copy of your paper from it?

    Thanks much!

    Barb

    Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

    Associate Professor