Hawaiian Bees (Hylaeus) and theri pollen

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012
      Please go to the following site for a novel (but not recent) take on take on identifying pollen collect by native, rare bees in Hawaii.  Hylaeus bees store pollen in their crops, not on their legs.  This molecular study claims they identified pollen to species three-years after the bees ingested it.

      http://invasivespecies.ucsd.edu/pubs/wilson%20et%20al%202010.pdf

      Also, here's the web page of a talented young man working on the role of these bees in the pollination of remnants of native hawaiian vegetation.

      Peter

    • FLECKENSTEIN, JOHN (DNR)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012

        Friends,

        This is an interesting article. It sure suggests some future research. My first question is about the pollination activity of these bees. If they store pollen in their crop, how do they act as pollinators? Do they only act as pollen thieves? If so, who does pollinate these plants?

        John Fleckenstein, zoologist

        Natural Heritage Program

        Department of Natural Resources

        360-902-1674

        John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012
          Hi John and all,

          I’m the second author on this paper- One of the reasons we did this
          study touches on your first question about the activity of Hylaeus.
          Very little is known about them, and these bees had been difficult to
          observe, so our approach was to use the indirect method of identifying
          the pollen for studying foraging activity (versus, perhaps visitation
          observations). Our approach was at least able to examine foraging
          behavior of Hawaiian Hylaeus, but could suggest future research for
          examining pollination activity.

          Is there any related information or observations about pollination or
          pollen collection/thievery by Hylaeus in other parts of the world?

          ______________________________
          C. Sheena Sidhu

          Ph.D. Candidate
          Department of Entomology
          The Pennsylvania State University
          530 Ag. Sciences and Industries Bldg
          University Park, PA 16802
          814-863-7790
        • Linda Newstrom
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012

          We have observed native Hylaeus bees visiting native flax flowers in New Zealand (see attached photo).   We have video footage of them taking the pollen into their mouth and included some of this in our pollination DVD.    We found them on flax frequently.

          The Hylaeus species we have here have relatively smooth bodies compared to the hairy Leioproctus species here.   I doubt they actually deposit many pollen grains.  The flax plant is adapted for bird pollination (tui, bellbird, others).  I have no data on the ability of the Hylaeus to achieve pollination in flax.  If they did it would be a small contribution compared to other pollinators.

          Bumble bees and honey bees (introduced) also forage on flax.   Barry Donovan who wrote the bee monograph for NZ would know what the Hylaeus bees forage on and I think there would be plants listed in his book.

          Linda Newstrom-Lloyd

          Landcare Research, Lincoln, New Zealand

          Mobile 021 385 953

          CHCH +64 383 4047

          Lincoln DD +64 3 321 9853

          John.Fleckenstein at dnr.wa.gov

        • ariellag@post.tau.ac.il
          Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012
          Hi everyone,

          If I may speak in behalf of at least some Hylaeus sp.,
          They are doing a pretty good job pollinating Zygophyllum dumosum in
          the deserts of Israel.
          I'm doing single visit pollination experiments as part of my PhD work
          in the Israeli Rift Valley.
          Hylaeus are part of the local bee community.
          Yes, they collect pollen in their crop, they are small sized and have
          a pathetic pubescence.
          Despite that, they were slightly better pollinators than Honey bees
          and Halictus and almost as good as Hoplitis to the local plant
          Zygophyllum dumosum.
          Sometimes all you need for successful pollination are a few leftover
          pollen grains round your mouth and legs (and just the right size and
          behavior to make contact with the stigma. Photo attached).

          Cheers,

          Ariella

          Ariella Gotlieb
          PhD Candidate
          Tel Aviv University
          ariellag@...
          arigotlieb@...
          Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2012
          Dear Fanciers of Hylaeus:

          Dr. Gottleib is entirely correct.  Stop stereotyping Hylaeus species as pollen thieves (or selfish gluttons) because they swallow pollen.  Flower-visiting beetles and syrphid flies do precisely the same thing and yet they pollinate diverse guilds of flowering plants in certain parts of the world.  Identifying pollen based on molecules in the bee's crop is a wonderful and exciting tool but you can acquire much the same evidence by catching the bee, euthanizing it and then washing pollen off the body with a little ethyl acetate.  Once the EA evaporates you stain with Calberla's fluid and identify the grains under the cover slip.  My techniques are described in Dafni's big book of pollination techniques.

          How do pollen grains cling to a Hylaeus bee?  Probably the same way they stick to other insects or birds that don't provision their offspring with pollen.  They're not hairless, you know.  Remember the power of static cling and also the adhesive qualities of pollenkitt (tapetal derived lipids) on the pollen wall.  Don't believe me.  Euthanize a Hylaeus on a flower, spatter coat it and place it under the SEM.  You will be amazed.

          Hylaeus species get little respect here in North America because their are plainly outnumbered by other insect species in sheer number and diversity.  Please look at the big Table in the attached.  Physaria filiformis received Hylaeus spp. and some carried the pollen of the host flower but these bees were completely outnumbered and outclassed by species in other families.

          Now I wish I published some information collected while completing my PhD back in 1981.  Hyleoides concinna collected pollen of Amyema preisii (Loranthaceae).  It's body was large enough to contact the stigma while it foraged but, like Phormium, the major pollinators were birds (meliphagids).  See Chapter 5 in "The Biology of Mistletoes (1983, Academic Press Australia).

          Remember, Calberlas's fluid is out friend.

          Peter

          [Attachment(s) from ariellag@... included below]