Re: [beemonitoring] (1) Vane Traps Response & (2) Question about journal recommendation(s) for upcoming publications

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
      We have used glycol in the trap heads in malaise traps without any problem...often add a little soap, but just as often forget.  Pest strips can get pretty smelly and certainly everything gets covered with most scales in those traps if they aren't tended often.

      Dirge in the Woods

      A wind sways the pines,
           And below
      Not a breath of wild air;
      Still as the mosses that glow
      On the flooring and over the lines
      Of the roots here and there.
      The pine-tree drops its dead;
      They are quiet, as under the sea.
      Overhead, overhead
      Rushes life in a race,
      As the clouds the clouds chase;
           And we go,
      And we drop like the fruits of the tree,
           Even we,
           Even so.

             - George Meredith

      From:David_r_smith@...
      To:Ray K Geroff <rk-geroff@...>
      Cc:"Prof. Society Bee-Monitoring" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, Jim Cane <Jim.Cane@...>, Mark Schlueter <mschluet@...>, Nicholas Stewart <nick.s2art@...>, Robinson Wainwright Sudan <rsudan@...>
      Date:02/03/2012 02:58 PM
      Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] (1) Vane Traps Response & (2) Question about journal recommendation(s) for upcoming publications
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Speaking of killing agents, has anyone ever used propylene glycol and soapy water in the jars used on malaise traps?  I was concerned about larger insects stomping around on the little guys before the pest strip killed them.