Re: [beemonitoring] Lasioglossum groups

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hi Denny

      In DL guides there is a difference between what "is" and what "appears" to be.  Thus for some species like L. cinctipes...the guide may keep it in the loop even though it has 2 - weakened cross veins becuase it is often misdiagnosed in that species...thus it will come out in the guide later.

      If you want to see what subgenus a species is in then you would use the subgenus character at the bottom of the guide.

      Yes, sensu strictu is usually defined as having only 1 weakened cross vein.

      I will let Jason (if he is available) talk about all the machinations of how Evylaeus is or is not currently defined.

      Hope that helps.

                                       While my colleagues can constantly enjoy the amenities of life, I have to work day and night on the investigation of a science
      that a thousand men will not be able to complete, to say nothing of the time I squander every day on scientific correspondence and so bring upon myself a premature old age.

      - Linneaus, 1761, letter to Nikolaus Joseph von Joaquin

      From:Dennis E Johnson <Dermjohn@...>
      To:Bee Monitoring <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:02/03/2012 05:21 PM
      Subject:[beemonitoring] Lasioglossum groups
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Hi all,
      Can anyone explain to me the Lasioglossum groups. Are Sensu strictu all Lasioglossum that have only one weakened cross vein? Do all Evylaeus have two weakened cross veins and is this the deciding factor for this group? I have a female Halictidae that is in the Lasioglossum genus with two possibilities: L. cinctipes and L. leucozonium, but I have also selected and searched the character "Third transcubital vein only weakened". But, it allows both species even though L. cinctipes has two, I think. If I pick sub-genus Evylaeus it excludes L. leucozonium. If I pick sub-genus Lasioglossum then It excludes L. cinctipes. I'm confused. Thanks for help.

      Denny Johnson from WI